Menu

What to wear to a grad school interview?

MomsintheGarden

Dd is excited to be interviewing early next month at an Ivy League school for a PhD program. They are flying her to the school for an "Informal Dinner" on Thursday night and a day-long event on Friday including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and interviews. What should she wear to the events? We've looked at books and the internet and no one agrees. Suit or no suit? Dress? Thanks for your advice. :)

And...yay! She's worked so hard and is really pumped up for this!

Well I am 'ancient', but if it were me, I would wear a nice pant suit or pant set for the informal dinner (one that could play casual but still not be jeans).  For the day events I would wear a suit with a blouse underneath that could pass for slightly more casual (probably sleeveless for me in case it is hot).  The suit would have a skirt that at least grazed the knees and allowed for comfortable sitting and be of a nice fabric. A dress would be "OK" but for an all day event would really limit your flexibility- one spill and you are stuck.  If she wants to be really clever, she can find a shirt that matches both outfits that can be rolled up and stored in her purse or briefcase for quick changes.  ;) I'm from the "dress for the job you want age."

Professional dress. A suit is best imo because if you have a cute blouse on underneath you can take the jacket off and suddenly look a lot less formal if you feel overdressed. It's a lot more difficult to remove part of a dress.

I will add, though, that unless she is ludicrously over- or underdressed she should be fine. I'm sure she wasn't going to go in either an evening gown and white gloves or a t-shirt and ratty jeans.

Thanks for the advice. Your comments are so helpful!

Dd is planning to dress in nice pants/sweater or blouse for the informal dinner, then probably a suit or similar outfit for the interviews the next day. She's also going to get her hair trimmed, polish her shoes, and wear one colorful accessory (a necklace or scarf) to make her easier to remember.

We found many websites with photos and tips, and especially liked these:

There is a good list of Dos & Don'ts at the bottom of the page on this site:

http://gradschool.about.com/od/interviews/a/interviewdodont.htm

We like the Virginia Tech career services website. Here's what VT says:

http://www.career.vt.edu/interviewing/interviewappearance.html

Best wishes to all those former WTM students who are interviewing!