Menu

MM: What to Buy?

CrunchyGirl

The sale at the HSBC has me considering using MM for ArtsyGirl. LegoMan's rapid run through 4 grades of SM and BA (not to mention LOF) in one year has me rethinking a few things and becoming concerned about our budget supporting multiple children's curriculum needs. Also I'll admit I'd like having less books to rotate as I'd already be adding back in CWP, maybe the IP, and almost certainly BA since the Beasts are considered good friends and heroes around here.

What should I buy? Is just the light blue series enough? Do I need the whole huge package or is there a good reason to buy it?

If you plan to use it as the main curriculum, light blue. I would suggest dark blue for someone wanting to supplement topic by topic while using another main curriculum, though it's pretty easy to do that with light blue also (I've used light blue in that manner).

I got the full set on the HSBC the last time it went on sale. I'm glad I did -the dark blue series has been great 

I think light blue would be enough though, particularly if you don't have many holes to fill (that's why I have liked the dark blue series as subject intensive hole fillers lol).

I think when I got it I paid $125 or so for the full deal from 1st to 6th grade which is a good deal IMO.

ETA: I messed up which colours were for which lol (we haven't touched math over the holidays so I'm forgetting already haha).

I also got the whole package last time.  I make up my own math curriculum, but use the worksheets to add practice.  I like being able to go back and forth between the grade levels and the topics.  This helps me make sure I'm not leaving any gaps.  I also use the chapter tests and reviews and things as review throughout the year.  I really like the way the way it's all laid out and I find it to be very user friendly.

I think light blue would be enough though, particularly if you don't have many holes to fill (that's why I have liked the dark blue series as subject intensive hole fillers lol).

Just to clarify for others reading, because all the different color names can be confusing at first, Math Mammoth light blue series and blue series (there is no "dark blue") contain the same lessons.  Light blue is arranged by grade level, while blue is arranged by topics with no denotation of grade levels.  One does not contain "more" than the other as long as you're buying the entire series of either one.  :coolgleamA:

Just to clarify for others reading, because all the different color names can be confusing at first, Math Mammoth light blue series and blue series (there is no "dark blue") contain the same lessons.  Light blue is arranged by grade level, while blue is arranged by topics with no denotation of grade levels.  One does not contain "more" than the other as long as you're buying the entire series of either one.  :coolgleamA:

Ha! I hadn't even realized I called it Dark Blue. Someone had referred to it as that earlier in the thread and I must have just continued with it lol. 

I shouldn't post before I've had adequate morning caffeine :p

ETA: The hole filling for us is when we use the Blue series, because coming out of PS my kids have a lot of gaps in their math skills. Not enough to go back a grade level in the work texts, but the Blue has been good for us to pull out those particular skills and cover them quickly. The PDF downloads (if this is important to anyone as it was for us) also include replacement money chapters in a couple other currencies. Being in Canada, this was a great reason for me to pick PDF over a printed book.