Menu

Horizons Math Grade 5 table of contents?

I believe the teacher's guide has a funky chart with every lesson on it and what is taught.  I don't have my 5 anymore.  I suspect it's copyrighted so really can't post on here anyway.  I couldn't find it on several sites to purchase it from.  Perhaps find a homeschool store to view it?  Or call AOP directly to ask??

Fractions and decimals started in Horizon's 4.  A review of fractions and geometric terms starts in Book 1, Lesson 1 of Horizons 5 and continues sporadically as further review, gradually building into more advanced problems.  Adding decimals starts in Book 1, Lesson 11, again as review at first. 

Book 1  also includes working with money (decimals) & counting change, prime numbers, exponents, number trees, estimation, averaging & averaging w/decimal remainders, more advanced geometry (lots of it), using graphs, elapsed time, metrics, time zones, polygons, exponents, using a protractor, introduction of a calculator (used sparingly), logical reasoning, & LOTS of division and multiplication.

Book 2 gets heavy into more advanced fractions, decimals and geometry, along with a lot of metric stuff towards the end, standard & metric temps. Learning percents starts at Lesson 135 after a lot of work with decimals.  The last two lessons of Book 2 introduce the concept of probability.

I'm sorry I'm not listing the entire "TOC", but it's not your standard, TOC.  Each lesson is listed with about 7-8 concepts which are being addressed within that lesson for 160 lessons.  It would take me all day to list them.

The readiness test for Horizons Grade 5 includes the following:  division of money (find the quotient); estimate by rounding 2-digit numbers to the 10's and 3-digit numbers to the 100's (division again); Draw a picture to solve a word problem; math definitions (15 of these including time and shapes); Lines (perpendicular/parallel), angles (acute/obtuse); name the circle, diameter, length of line within circle; symmetry & congruent; perimeter & volume; numerators & denominators; add/sub of fractions & reduction thereof (like and unlike denominators); sum/diff of decimals & value of decimals; metric conversions & value.

Students should be able to complete 57 points or more out of a total of 81 points in order to proceed with Grade 5 Horizons.

I hope this info helps.