Menu

Any thoughts on Lightning Literature? Is this Lit Analysis or more like Reading Comp

Chris in CA

I am actually undecided about continuing. We did LL7 last year and I am thinking of either skipping 8 and going to their high school stuff or going to something else. I do have LLfLoTR waiting for me to plan out. Ds and I want to work through that over the next couple of years. DD may join us.

LL7 was good but not spectacular in my opinion. It was part lit anaysis part comprehension but did neither extremely well IMHO. I really enjoyed its ease of use. I really enjoyed the writing assignments because it showed my dd that she COULD write. (She has only done CW writing after years of struggling so doing the LL assignments was a huge step for her.)

The lit analysis was not particularly aggresive. In the samples you can see that they discuss plot lines but then never mention it again. A different literature aspect is discussed with every book which is fine but I would have liked at least for some things to be pointed out a few more times so that there are some connections made.

My other minor complaint is that the student book is arranged in two parts. They give the student the lesson pages in the first half and thenthe workbook pages in the second half. I would have liked it arranged so that the topic is taught then the worksheet follows it and then the next part of the lesson. when I scheduled it for dd, she was constantly flipping backand forth. We made great use of sticky tabs.

Overall I was pleased but am still undecided if we will continue.

HTHs,

I started this year with LL 7. So, I can only address the first unit for the grade behind where you are looking.

It is more analysis than comp. THe first lesson discussed Plot Line, Opening lines, Exposition, that type thing.

I have heard LL described as 'lite" compared to others and I do not know if this is accurate or not. I know I like it and so does dd.

Someone else was looking at LL vs BJU so that might be a thread discussion hiding somewhere.

We started to use LL7 last year. My dd really liked it a lot. It was more analysis than anything else, though there were a few writing assignments included. There wasn't any direction wrt the writing assignments. I decided to use the lit part of TOG this year, as it seemed using both would be redundant.