Menu

classical or ecclesiastical latin??

Deana FL

I'm 100% sure you will get more informative replies shortly, but I believe the only difference between the two is how a few letters are pronounced, so it doesn't really make too much difference which you go with. We will probably go with ecclesiastical or "church" Latin, because we hear Latin in our (Anglican) church now and again, usually in ancient hymns.

But again (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the differences are so slight that it would be extremely easy to switch from one to the other as necessary if your kids pursue or use Latin as teens/adults. (But naturally you'd stick to one or the other as they are learning the language.)

Susan

You could teach both. But first you need to pick one to teach. We chose the Ecclesiastical pronunciation because I like the sound of it better. It has a more 'Italian' sound to it and it just sounds nicer to us, and at times we hear latin in church.

Ecclesiastical prounuciation is also known as 'church' latin ,which was developed by the church in Rome and is still used today at the Vatican.

Classical is more what scholars believe the Romans originally spoke. Differences between the both are with C, J, G , R( Ecc is highly rolled, in Classical is slightly rolled)V, and Ecclesiastical uses Z where Classical doesnot. The vowels are pronounced differently and three out of the 4 dipthongs are pronouned differently.

There is no right or wrong when chosing really. They can eventually learn both. It will all depend on your goals for your children and if they plan on studying it beyond homeschooling( such as college) as most institutions use Classical pronunciation.