Menu

Physics that matches CC memory work

I am very curious: what is there to memorize about physics? What purpose does memory work in physics serve?

I am a  physicist, and not having to memorize tons of stuff, because you only have to understand it and can re-derive everything is one of the beauties. As a physics instructor, I also notice every semester that students who try to master physics by memorizing are not performing well, because it is all about conceptual understanding. (They may, for example, be able to rattle off Newton's laws, but will not recognize when and how to apply them - which renders their "knowledge" useless.)

So, what on earth do they have the kids memorize?

Yes they memorize Newton's law, states of matter, difference between an acid and a base, forms of energy, characteristics of light, laws of thermodynamics, how heat flows and units used to meAsure electricity. It is my job to try and put meaning and understanding to the memorization. I have not found an elementary curriculum to help me with that part yet.

I have Real Science for Kids Physics Level 1 that appears to cover many of the topics from CC cycle 2, weeks 13-18.  It won't align perfectly, but may flesh-out some of the science vocabulary that the CC memory work introduces.  If I didn't already own it (I think a friend gave it to me years ago), I wouldn't run out an buy it for this purpose.  We'll also use a science encyclopedia, BrainPop videos, and library books on each topic.

Yes they memorize Newton's law, states of matter, difference between an acid and a base, forms of energy, characteristics of light, laws of thermodynamics, how heat flows and units used to meAsure electricity. It is my job to try and put meaning and understanding to the memorization. I have not found an elementary curriculum to help me with that part yet.

For the units (I assume you mean things like hertz, ohms, amperes), most of them are named for people whose biographies you could study.

BFSU would cover a lot of the science in its "Nature of Matter" thread, and most of the rest in its "Physical Science" thread. You'd need all three books, since basic matter and energy is in the K-2 book but thermodynamics, chemical reactions, electricity don't hit their full stride until the 6th-8th book.