Menu

anyone using Apologia for science?

deemk

I know that WTM doesn't list Apologia for science text but it seems that a lot of HS families seem to go with this and also follow WTM philosophies. I am wanting to get advice from those of you out there that do. We're on Earth/Life Science this year (just starting) and WTM lists animals, human body, and plant life all in one year. But Apologia Zoology I only covers flight animals. I was wondering if you get all the Apologia books and just take sections from each to cover WTM topics? Or how do you go about this?

thanks.

:001_huh:

I'm planning to go through all the "Exploring Creation.." series through their elementary years. I think the format is very much classical in that it gives the child an opportunity to narrate the portion just read to them. It's very hands-on...very much like SOTW is set up.

We also use the lapbooking cd's that correlate with the books...you can find them at http://www.liveandlearnpress.com/viewItems.php?category=18.

I am not a science-minded person and could never do it the way WTM suggests. But, I really like this series...and so do the kids.

I know that WTM doesn't list Apologia for science text but it seems that a lot of HS families seem to go with this and also follow WTM philosophies. I am wanting to get advice from those of you out there that do. We're on Earth/Life Science this year (just starting) and WTM lists animals, human body, and plant life all in one year. But Apologia Zoology I only covers flight animals. I was wondering if you get all the Apologia books and just take sections from each to cover WTM topics? Or how do you go about this?

thanks.

:001_huh:

I don't strictly follow the WTM science cycle. Mostly because my kids adore animal and plants and would prefer to study those all the time. :rolleyes: I hs year around and can cover about two Apologia books in a year.

The Apologia books are written to build concept upon concept, so I won't say you can't read an excerpt here and there, but you do run the risk of it referring to something already discussed, which you might or might not have read. It might be discouraging.

By the way there is actually 3 Zoology books: 1 is Flying Creatures, 2 is Swimming Creatures, and 3 is Land Creatures. Of course they have the Botany book, and a Human Body books is coming out. There is no way you can cover all those in one year.

You could cover all in a year with the God's Design series. We have used their Earth Science books. While they aren't as interesting as the Apologia texts, they are very doable and cover all the areas you need.

Heather

I use them as written and don't worry about aligning it with the WTM science suggestions. I would not dice up the books, using parts of two or three in a given year. Part of the beauty of Fulbright's books is studying one topic in depth. Your child will build a notebook in each book through narrations, illustrations and lab reports. We keep all of it together in one huge binder so that my dc can now flip through their work in Astronomy, Botony and Zoo I and II.

BTW, while we generally cover 2 books per year, the publisher recommends 1 per year. So, either way.

HTH,

Lisa

okay, i was wondering about doing 2 books a year so that is helpful to know some of you out there are doing that. someone mentioned a human body book that is coming out? does anyone know when that will be out? i would love to do zoology I and human body this year. i was looking at doing just the human body sections out of the general science book. what grade level is that aimed for? and will the human body book coming out be different than the content in there?

sorry for so many questions. but thanks SO much for your help!

deeanna

okay, i was wondering about doing 2 books a year so that is helpful to know some of you out there are doing that. someone mentioned a human body book that is coming out? does anyone know when that will be out? i would love to do zoology I and human body this year. i was looking at doing just the human body sections out of the general science book. what grade level is that aimed for? and will the human body book coming out be different than the content in there?

sorry for so many questions. but thanks SO much for your help!

deeanna

Her website says 2009 on the Body book. I thought the Chemistry, which is apparently Chemistry/Physics would be out already, so I think she may be behind schedule. If you do the Zoo 1 book first you can just wait and see, but you probably would want a back up plan.

I think all the books are written on about the same level. They do all use correct terminology and that puts some people off, so they don't want to use them with younger kids. It doesn't bother me, so my K student sits in and listens.

Heather

We love Apologia science here!

My oldest (12th grade) is doing Marine Biology (after having used Apologia from General Science through Physics).

My second (9th grade) is doing Biology (after having used Apologia Physical Science last year)

My third (4th grade) is doing Zoology 1 (which is the flying creatures text). He used the Astronomy text last year and really loved it! He can't wait for next year, Zoology 2, which is swimming creatures.

I think they're wonderful books!!!

I've taken several different approaches to science over the years, discovering along the way that the WTM science resource suggestions don't appeal to me. We settled comfortable a couple of years ago with Apologia. My oldest has completed General Science and will use Physical Science this year. My younger boys enjoy and benefit from the Exploring Creation series. Regardless of whether or not I used Apologia, I wouldn't adopt the WTM science cycle. It's a fine suggestion, but not one I'm interested in following.

Her website says 2009 on the Body book. I thought the Chemistry, which is apparently Chemistry/Physics would be out already, so I think she may be behind schedule. If you do the Zoo 1 book first you can just wait and see, but you probably would want a back up plan.

I think all the books are written on about the same level. They do all use correct terminology and that puts some people off, so they don't want to use them with younger kids. It doesn't bother me, so my K student sits in and listens.

Heather

Here is a May 2008 post from Jeannie from the Apologia Yahoo group.

"I will not be writing a chemistry/physics books this year, because the Lord

has led me to begin work on a devotional series that homeschool families can

use to help their children learn to read and understand the Bible,

comprehend foundational doctrinal truths and grow closer to God. I've

finished the proposal and two sample chapters. So, now my agent is going to

take the idea to publishers and see if there is any interest in publishing

it. I've let Apologia know that I'm not going to be able to write a

chemistry/physics book this year. Jay Wile, the owner of Apologia, has

another author that he is working with to produce the chemistry/physics book

for elementary kids. I'm sure it will be just as wonderful as my books.

I may still write an anatomy book. But I'll have to see how things work out

with the devotional series. The first two books will go through the book of

John. I am hoping to continue through books of the New Testament. I will

possibly tackle Romans after John, then Ephesians. All have a lot of

theology that would be extremely helpful for a student to learn before they

leave home."

Michele

I guess it doesn't sound very nice to say I'm sorry someone is writing a devotional series for families, but...I want those science books!:D

"I will not be writing a chemistry/physics books this year, because the Lord

has led me to begin work on a devotional series that homeschool families can

use to help their children learn to read and understand the Bible,

comprehend foundational doctrinal truths and grow closer to God. I've

finished the proposal and two sample chapters. So, now my agent is going to

take the idea to publishers and see if there is any interest in publishing

it. I've let Apologia know that I'm not going to be able to write a

chemistry/physics book this year. Jay Wile, the owner of Apologia, has

another author that he is working with to produce the chemistry/physics book

for elementary kids. I'm sure it will be just as wonderful as my books.

I may still write an anatomy book. But I'll have to see how things work out

with the devotional series. The first two books will go through the book of

John. I am hoping to continue through books of the New Testament. I will

possibly tackle Romans after John, then Ephesians. All have a lot of

theology that would be extremely helpful for a student to learn before they

leave home."

Michele