Menu

Questions, Curiosity, Confused About Intelligent Design?

A few months ago, there were several threads about ID and what the real definition was, how it differed from Creationism, the assertion by many that it was not real science and so on.  There was quite a debate, and someone who wasn't a proponent of ID found herself in the position of having to teach it (New Zealand I think) without knowing much about it.

Well, I subscribe to an e-newsletter titled Center for Science & Culture and they just happened to have a video attached below) of an interview of Dr. Michael Meyer being interviewed by Socrates in the City discussing ID and his new book, Darwin's Doubt.

I must say it was quite fascinating and while I don't usually watch these things in totality, I was shocked to find I actually finished it.

During the interview, Dr. Meyer addresses the following:

• specific definition of ID
  • provides the 3 definitions of the Theory of Evolution
  • Why ID is scientific and the how the same scientific method that Darwin used to arrive at his theory has been purposely used since the inception of ID.
  • Explains the fact that the science isn't "settled" and discusses the fact there there are currently 6 new theories of evolution that have been proposed in the last few years by scientists who are breaking from the orthodoxy of Neo Darwinism (this is discussed at around 40: something...)
  • discusses the fact that there is a growing network of international (mostly European) scientists now openly communicating with the Institute of Intelligent Design to discuss theories
  • explains the difference between theistic evolution and ID
  • addresses the testability of ID (using Darwin's method)
  • address micro/macro evolution (yes, contrary to popular belief those terms are valid) and the so-called fruit fly/bacteria proofs for evolution
  • explains "front loaded" design theory and why he doesn't endorse it.

As you can see, I actually took notes while I watched - a new one for me!  Anyway, he also mentioned an interesting fact that in 2005, when ID was still in it's infancy, only 1 peer-reviewed article about ID was allowed in a scientific journal.  Now there have been 100.

The conclusion Dr. Meyer makes is that the science is definitely not settled and more scientists are now recognizing there are more problems than solutions with Neo-Darwinism; to the point that many more scientists are willing to collaborate with the ID scientists to come up with alternate theories.

To skip the monologue of the interviewer in the beginning, start at 7:13; the interviewer then gives Dr. Meyer's credentials (Those of you why may deny Dr. Meyers authenticity as a scientist may want to listen to those).  If you want to jump right into the interview, start watching at 11:49.

Disclaimer: The interviewer started off as abrasive and somewhat hostile towards non-ID proponents, secular people for a very brief period (I don't endorse that because I get enough of it in reverse); however, Dr. Meyer nipped it in the bud by his example of graciousness and refusal to engage in that type of behavior.  The rest of the interview was then fine.

If you watch, I hope you enjoy and get as much out of it as I did. 

Thank you.  I have looked at things like you and was thinking about getting Darwin Doubts when I realized my library had it.  I haven't read it, yet.  I just don't have time at the moment but my son wants to learn evolution and I read somewhere that scientists now have new and different theories breaking away from Neo-Darwinism.  It is such new stuff and really want to get into before I teach evolution to ds.  Something inside me tells me there is something not right with Darwinism and I even read in Darwin's biography that he even knew he needed to make changes, too.  But I don't know what it is.  It is something I will research in the next couple of months.  My plan for teaching evolution is start at the beginning with Darwin and then move through the history and arguments to the present times.

Did you get the book?  Someone here has posted a ID curriculum that sent me to the "Darwin Doubts" website site but now I cannot remember that curriculum site.

I will look at the video when I am home.  Thanks!

Thank you.  I have looked at things like you and was thinking about getting Darwin Doubts when I realized my library had it.  I haven't read it, yet.  I just don't have time at the moment but my son wants to learn evolution and I read somewhere that scientists now have new and different theories breaking away from Neo-Darwinism.  It is such new stuff and really want to get into before I teach evolution to ds.  Something inside me tells me there is something not right with Darwinism and I even read in Darwin's biography that he even knew he needed to make changes, too.  But I don't know what it is.  It is something I will research in the next couple of months.  My plan for teaching evolution is start at the beginning with Darwin and then move through the history and arguments to the present times.

Did you get the book?  Someone here has posted a ID curriculum that sent me to the "Darwin Doubts" website site but now I cannot remember that curriculum site.

I will look at the video when I am home.  Thanks!

I haven't gotten the book yet.  I'm afraid my poor brain would pop with all the info and science.  I find it better to watch and listen to things like that.  That's why this video was so great for me.  I think for you it will tell you what you find "missing" with Darwinism. 

I've also checked out the ID curriculum and plan to purchase and use it next year for DD.  I'm very excited about it.  It means no doing Physics, but I don't really care.  She will get that a little later.

I hope you really enjoy the video; I know I did!