Menu

Logos School Products...several questions...

Robin in DFW

I briefly used Imitations in Writing Aesop with my son about 2 years ago. He did well. But...we were so new to homeschooling and I didn't really understand the whole point of that particular type of writing instruction.

Fast forward...NOW...I am in search of a writing program for him for next year (6th). We have used a plethora of things...Spectrum workbooks, narrations from history/science, book reports using forms from ABCTeach, etc. I ache for a simple, well-planned-out program that doesn't seem like busy work. I am not partial to any particular method...classical or more traditional (school-type) instruction. I have looked at Writing Tales 1...too young for him. I probably should have looked into WT2. I have looked over Wordsmith Apprentice...ds was not interested. IEW is NOT in my budget...ever.

The cold, hard fact is this...he doesn't like writing. He CAN write and actually doesn't do a half-bad job of it. He tends to write too much (when asked for a brief written summary, it's usually a complete re-telling)...or he writes WAY too little (usually because he doesn't feel like producing). I am proud of his efforts, but I think I need something to help me help him...IYKWIM.

On to Imitations in Writing. This follows the progym...right...? But, does it help students learn to write different types of papers? I can't really remember clearly. Is it similar to WT? Or CW? I've read so much about both of those, but I'm not sure I want the whole-hog that is CW.

Logos also has literature guides, which I am also looking for. Has anyone used these? They look decent enough and at a good price.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Robin

I used one of the Logos books. And like you, at the time, I just didn't get it until I got a hold of Classical Writing years later to get the big picture.

I agree with whoever said that it doesn't lead to anywhere as far as more books. So, if you want progym curriculum, it's classical writing or classical comp. That said, someone on these boards, her names escapes me now, actually uses both, a progym curriculum and a traditional curriculum. She used CW and Put That In Writing, and used them one week on, one week off.

I have to say, I really like CW, but I also like a more tradtitional functional writing program. I had a tendency to use CW, but incorporate other standards forms as well.

But, back to Logos. That may be all you want for some progym exercises if your writing goal is some other things as well. But, again, I think the Logos books are for the preliminary stages of progym.