Menu

Has anyone tried a Daniel Fast? How about the new Daniel Cure? (CC)

HappyGrace

I haven't tried the Daniel Fast, but the correlating Daniel Cure book just came out, with the lady who wrote the Daniel Fast book, and the Daniel Cure sounds like a modified form of the Daniel Fast that is helpful for anti-inflammatory type eating. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness this year, so I'm going to start the Daniel Cure on January 1st. Has anyone tried the Daniel Fast before? How did it go? The Daniel Cure is a twist on it that is more for a lifestyle, so I think it sounds more flexible and doable.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Daniel-Cure-Vibrant-Health/dp/0310335655/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387143503&sr=8-1&keywords=daniel+cure

I would evaluate it from a health point of view.

The context of the restrictions of diet in Daniel 1 was about the "defilement" issue of the non-kosher food being offered. The request for vegetables only may have been the only way to avoid the cross-contamination of meat/dairy. It might also have been a type of  fast for God's favor to allow them to keep their Jewish ways (and their lives) under Babylonian rule. While it mentions health benefits, the context of that is that the officer was worried that the food wouldn't be enough to sustain health and he would get in trouble as a result. It could easily be read as God honoring their desire to refrain from defilement and showing the officer that health did not depend on diet. 

It did not represent a typical kosher diet, which allowed fruit, bread, dairy, meat, wine, etc.  so I wouldn't read too much into it by way of "This is the way God meant us to eat."   We know for instance, that Jesus ate fish and drank wine as a regular pattern. (I hope this doesn't start an argument with the "wine" really means 'grape juice" people. I know many sincere people like that. I'm not trying to do that.)

That's why I would evaluate it as I would any diet recommendation, not from a particularly "biblical" point of view.

I did it for a whole month once, although the only cheat I did allow myself was coffee.

I lost no weight and had no real benefit.  One of my friends (a male) did lose 30 pounds in one month and it benefited him greatly.

So, I guess you just never know how it will help or not help.