Menu

Horse people...what do you look for in lessons for beginners?

I'm trying to find lessons for oldest dd in our area. There are lots of options, but location and price are narrowing it down pretty quickly. Are there any red flags I should watch out for? Anything they *must* have? Any of you near here (DFW) that would give me cheap lessons????

TIA!

I'm trying to find lessons for oldest dd in our area. There are lots of options, but location and price are narrowing it down pretty quickly. Are there any red flags I should watch out for? Anything they *must* have? Any of you near here (DFW) that would give me cheap lessons????

TIA!

I'd watch at least one or two lessons to see how they relate to their students. Would their style work for your child? Some give more verbal instructions, some physically move the rider's body parts into position, some yell.

Some other things to look for:

Do they emphisis safety? That includes good leg grip and positioning, helmets, tack maintenance, and safety from working around them on the ground. However, I guarentee your children will be stepped on frequently as well as fall off and probably bitten on occasion. This should probably be #1 consideration.

Do they emphisis horsemanship (including horse care) or just riding?

Do they have a training ring? Is it level and well graded with good footing?

What is their selection of horses? For a raw beginner, you want calm and steady horses. They don't need to be young, good looking or spirited. As your child advances, do they have more athletic horses?

How do they interact with the kids? Is it get them on and off for the next batch of riders? Or are the instructors more into the total child? If so, you've got a gem!!!! Do they listen to the kids, want to see them develop responsibility, let them hang around the stable, etc.

Do they have access to riding trails or at least riding in the pastures? Riding in circles in a ring gets old fast. Also riding on hills and under trees develop a lot of riding skills.

Finally, what riding style do they teach? Is it one your girls want to learn? If you have a choice, I'd like to start with English. Because there's less saddle, the kids are more likely to learn to use their legs properly, faster. But this would probably be last on my list.

Safety would be a big thing---do they require helmets, teach safety first and foremost, etc.

I would ask if you could have her take a few trial lessons before a long term agreement. You want to make sure that your dd and the instructor click.

Also check out the horses she would be riding.

Check out what type of riding your dd wants to do---English, Western, trail, show, etc. Different instructors will focus on different riding styles. I enjoy trail riding and so do my girls so most of our riding lesson focus on being safe on the trails and learning those skills. Another friend wants to show so her lessons focus on that.

Remember and remind your dd, that many times early lessons will focus mostly on safety, learning the basics of the horse, tacking up, etc. Many instructors also start their students out in a round pen or on a lead line to help them build their skills.