Menu

Boston trip plan. Doable or crazy?

LNC

We have 4 children 19 (profoundly disabled and medically fragile), 16 ( autism and mod intellectually disabled), 14yo and 12yo.

We considered the option of flying me and my two youngest (homeschoolers) for 3 nights. Plane fares plus hotels are super expensive. My 2nd oldest with autism and intellectual disabilities would feel left out.

Our next plan is following and what I am asking if it is crazy. It would replace our annual beach vacation. 14 hours road trip in huge wheelchair van, with one night in hotel each way to tend to son's needs. We are looking beachfront in Plymouth -about an hour outside Boston

day 1 - unpack and hang out at beach

day 2 - train to Boston, dad at home with son reading and fishing

day 3 - train to Boston and Red Sox game, mom at home with son reading

day 4 - train to Boston, dad at home with son reading and fishing

day 5 - all of us to Plimouth Plantation

day 6 - drive to Lexington/ Concord tour, dad at home reading fishing

day 7 - pack and hang out at beach

It feels awkward bc we have to split up so much. When we go to the beach we stay oceanfront and basically never leave. This schedule is nice for my oldest bc it gives him a few days in bed to recover from the road trip before we go to Plimouth Plantation. I really want to show my kids Boston bc my dad's family is from there. We are HUGE Red Sox fans (bc of my childhood), but I really want my husband to go in my place bc I went so often as a kid. So, that is part of why I want us all to go.

The train to Boston and doing the Red Sox game may not be doable. You have to check for the time of the last train from South Station to Hyannis. I don't think the trains run that late unless you take in a 1 pm game on a weekday. If you go to a weekend game with the Red Sox, you have to double check the weekend schedule. The train schedule tends to be very light on the weekends also. So if you are doing the Red Sox game, I would drive in.

The other thing is that the train schedule is very restrictive so if you don't want to worry about making the last train, I would drive in. We park at the Ritz Carlton with valet parking when we go to Boston. It's $35 or so and it's cheaper than a garage and easier with the valet.

He has a rn during school hours at home, but can't obviously not on vacation. He has complicated medical equipment, and his set up is like a mini icu. Takes a while for even a new nurse to get oriented to his plan. So, we are the only caregivers.

I am second guessing the idea bc of the long drive- he gets sores from too much time in his wheelchair, healing one up from church service last Sunday. I can't imagine how we would do with the drive, even with all the recovery days built into the schedule. It is a great idea in theory, but our family is unique. I'm thankful for our many oceanfront beach vacation memories.