Menu

Help! Complete ignorance! Subwoofers for a car...

PinkInTheBlue

My 17 year old is asking for 10 or 12 inch subwoofers for his car for Christmas.  That is officially ALL I know about

them!  I'd love to be able to say "Tada!" on Christmas morning but since I don't know what I'm looking for, could

anybody help me? Pleeeeease!

His car is a 2010 Nissan Sentra. I look 10 or 12 inch subwoofers up on Amazon and they are listed one at a time.

Do you buy one or is it like speakers and you need two?  If you know about them could you really help the helpless

and tell me some that might be good?

I suddenly feel so clueless!  :)

Thank you a million times if you can help!

My 17 year old is asking for 10 or 12 inch subwoofers for his car for Christmas.  That is officially ALL I know about

them!  I'd love to be able to say "Tada!" on Christmas morning but since I don't know what I'm looking for, could

anybody help me? Pleeeeease!

His car is a 2010 Nissan Sentra. I look 10 or 12 inch subwoofers up on Amazon and they are listed one at a time.

Do you buy one or is it like speakers and you need two?  If you know about them could you really help the helpless

and tell me some that might be good?

I suddenly feel so clueless!  :)

Thank you a million times if you can help!

LOL!  I feel your pain.  However, all my boys have successfully installed subs in their vehicles (much to my dh's chagrin).  My 17 yo said the first question to ask is "what is her budget".  So?  After that, he said he could make some recommendations :)

LOL!  I feel your pain.  However, all my boys have successfully installed subs in their vehicles (much to my dh's chagrin).  My 17 yo said the first question to ask is "what is her budget".  So?  After that, he said he could make some recommendations :)

I wouldn't say "money is no object" because this isn't really something I'd spend $1000 on but it's pretty much the only

thing he's asking for.  He loves his music but he isn't a big, booming type enthusiast.  On a scale of 1 to 10 cheap and

useless to what the pros would use, I'd say I'd like to call what I'm looking for to be about a 7.

Help at all?

Honestly, I'd like to avoid going to a shop. They are just going to try and sell me and I'm not in the mood.

For the longest time, I got the Crutchfield catalog, which has a lot of car audio.  I think they have phone or online advisors who can talk you through it all based on model and year of the car, etc.  They've been around forever and have a pretty good reputation. 

Yes! Crutchfield! Thank you. I forgot about them. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Still open to thoughts :)

Ok. Here's his recommendation:

Infinity Reference 1300a 300-Watt, High-Performance Mono Subwoofer Amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-High-Performance-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B000RNS2UA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386290495&sr=1-3

Infinity - Kappa 120.9w - Subwoofers

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-KAPPA-120-9W-Kappa-120-9w-Subwoofers/dp/B002O91BEY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386290161&sr=1-1&keywords=infinit

Atrend TL-12DV Atrend Series 12-Inch Dual Slammer Vented Divided Enclosure

http://www.amazon.com/Atrend-TL-12DV-12-Inch-Slammer-Enclosure/dp/B001TDKPN4/ref=sr_1_22?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1386290704&sr=1-22

An amp, 2 subs, and a box to mount them in. Comes to $500.