Menu

Best pre-algebra with really good explantions in book?

Lizzie in Ma

Dolciani's Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course - very straightforward, assuming that is what you are looking for.  A long time ago I posted samples, let me see if I can find it and I'll come back with the link.  This is a school text though the TM doesn't offer much - don't need it.  Eta, samples here

AoPS - note that most of the explanations, written to the student, come within the solutions to (after) the lesson problems (see samples - more on website).  Sometimes the solutions are more thorough than a student may want :).  (Also, this is a very challenging text.)

Check out the math series by Tobey & Slater. If this prealgebra link doesn't work (typing on my phone) just search on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321567935?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

It has great explanations and teaching right in the text. I bought it after seeing several recommendations here by NittanyJen, and I have not been disappointed. There are currently several copies of the 4th edition available (latest is 5th edition) for around a dollar. Also, I haven't pursued it, but apparently MyMathLab.com has videos & other resources available for this textbook series.

From the description on Tobey & Slater prealgebra on Amazon: "The Tobey/Slater series builds essential skills one at a time by breaking the mathematics down into manageable pieces. This practical “building block†organization makes it easy for readers to understand each topic and gain confidence as they move through each section. The authors provide a “How am I Doing?†guide to give readers constant reinforcement and to ensure that they understand each concept before moving on to the next. With Tobey/Slater, readers have a tutor and study companion with them every step of the way."

I have Dolciani prealgebra and algebra as well. I like them too, but I think Tobey & Slater has really good explanations for self-teaching and/or for presenting a topic in different ways. I like having at least a couple of different texts around in case DS gets "stuck" with a particular topic, and Tobey & Slater is definitely a keeper for us.