Menu

(can't believe I am asking) Dave Ramsey's Custom College Guide? anyone here?

Joanne

I don't have homeschooling teens, so I don't post on the High School and College boards.

http://www.daveramsey.com/tools/college-guide/?ictid=ccg.search

My oldest is going a different route (probably military after he works for a while). But my dd is a Junior, honor student with a very good GPA.

I will not be able to fund ANIY of her college. Her Dad is unemployed, likely to stay that way, and will be unable to fund ANY of her college.

I am assuming the same is true for my youngest, a Freshman now.

I've heard of the Custom College Guide. I am interested if anyone in the Hive has experience with it.

Definitely post on the High School Board as many parents there don't check the Chat Board. I haven't used Dave Ramsey, but it seems like a lot of money for information that is available through internet searches.

For example, with a quick 5 minute search I pulled up:

University of Houston: Academic Excellence Scholarship ($2500-$8500/yr)

University of Texas: President's Achievement Scholarships (need based, $5000-$15000/yr)

Texas A&M University: President's Endowed Scholarship ($12,000 total)

I've recently helped a high school student living in Texas through the college process. The student is in a similar situation, neither parent can help with college costs. If you'd like to PM, I can try to help.

The information available in the Dave Ramsey program is available elsewhere for free.

If the family is low income the student will be "Pell eligible" which opens up a lot of options for financial aid. Here is a basic introduction to Federal financial aid.

If what you'd like to do is statistically compare different colleges (that's what the Dave Ramsey program says it will do) you can do this for free online.

https://bigfuture.co...ompare-colleges

As far as books, my top suggestion would be Princeton Review's Paying for College Without Going Broke. Most libraries have it. I also have many free articles on my site that you may find helpful. Here's one that explains how to start getting an idea what college will cost: Planning for College Costs