Menu

Memoria Press users

MamaSprout

I like MP's scope and sequence. It's the first boxed curriculum that pretty much lines up with where we are, which is always nice to know even if I don't buy the whole "box". But wow, that is a lot of workbooks, teacher guides, etc. It would be like juggling Singapore for every subject.

Can anyone help me trim down to the best and most necessary guides/ workbooks/ etc for grade 5? I am most interested in language arts, history and geography.

Thanks!

We are just finishing grade 4, and we are planning to start grade 5 after the new year. We use most of the full curriculum.  The good news about the workbooks is that the weekly subjects are only once a week!

We plan to use Second Form Latin, Grammar Recitation, R&S Spelling 6, the literature guides, 5th grade science, Geography II, and Famous Men of the Middle Ages.

We use a different math, writing, and we do Bible as a family.

We tend to break up workbook-intensive subjects.  For example, we work through Latin together orally, do the recitation and flashcards, and then about 10 minutes doing the daily worksheet.  Then they might practice piano or read before the next workbook, etc.  We haven't found it to be too much writing, but sometimes we work through the questions orally.

If you were looking to minimize workbooks, I'd eliminate Christian Studies. You could also do Geography without a workbook as long as you drill the locations.  maybe the lit guides too?  The Latin workbook is a must for drilling in the info, and I feel the same way about the history.  But, again, a lot could be done orally.

Good luck!

How are you using grammar recitation for Grade 5? Are you doing it verbally?

Thanks!

My 5th grader and my 3rd grader will both be using Grammar Recitation book 1. We plan on:

Day 1: go over new rule(s) + copywork

Day 2: workbook exercises

Day 3: dictation of practice sentences

Day 4: cumulative oral review of grammar rules

From what I can tell, it should take about 10-15 minutes a day, four days a week.

How do you think the full curriculum would be for a creative child?

We have been slowly transitioning toward Memoria Press, but I do worry that my very creative child will not do well. My husband thinks there is too much 'classical' focus and it is not well- rounded enough (for us). I do realize, though, that whether it feels that way when using the materials is probably dependent upon  the implementation and frequency of the classical studies.

I think we would also do our own faith, writing, and math. I just can't quite see the benefit in the classical composition series, but that is probably because I value creative writing. : )

We have been slowly transitioning toward Memoria Press, but I do worry that my very creative child will not do well. My husband thinks there is too much 'classical' focus and it is not well- rounded enough (for us). I do realize, though, that whether it feels that way when using the materials is probably dependent upon the implementation and frequency of the classical studies.

I think we would also do our own faith, writing, and math. I just can't quite see the benefit in the classical composition series, but that is probably because I value creative writing. : )

For my very creative child, I have found that school is better if done directly and efficiently so she can go do her own creative stuff. "Hand over the glitter and no one gets hurt." YMMV of course. We intend to continue with Singapore Math, and will probably use CAP for writing, at least for Fable and Narrative levels. We are already using Lively Latin and will continue with it. So I really am using MP's scope more than their materials. We have access to a nice library, so supplementing broader history is easy and fun. It's nice to know that I can click "buy now" in case of homeschool emergency, though.

edited for "fat fingers on iPad" errors.

For my very creative child, I have found that school is better if done directly and efficiently so she can go do her own creative stuff. "Hand over th glitter and no one gets hurt." YMMV of course. We intend to continue with Singapore Math, and will probably use CAP for writing, at least for fable and narrative levels. We are already using lively latin and will continue with it. So I really am using MP's scope more than their materials. We have access to a nice library, so supplementing broader history is easy and fun. It's nice to know that I can click "buy here" in case of homeschool emergency, though.

That is something I have noticed with my creative kiddo, too, but I thought I was crazy! She gets soooo frustrated if she can't understand the practical application or if she feels like the work is 'busywork'!

And, yes, "hand over the glitter" is exactly how life with her is : )

That is something I have noticed with my creative kiddo, too, but I thought I was crazy! She gets soooo frustrated if she can't understand the practical application or if she feels like the work is 'busywork'!

And, yes, "hand over the glitter" is exactly how life with her is : )

Yep, lap books were a huge bust here. I bought Oak Meadow and resold it immediately. History Pockets? Never going to happen.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

We have been slowly transitioning toward Memoria Press, but I do worry that my very creative child will not do well. My husband thinks there is too much 'classical' focus and it is not well- rounded enough (for us). I do realize, though, that whether it feels that way when using the materials is probably dependent upon  the implementation and frequency of the classical studies.

for my creative children we do a lot of the MP stuff orallly (christian Studies question, Famous Men question, let guide quetions).  I then have them journal/draw on what they ahve read for those subjects. 

I love the memoria press curriculum and pair it up with Kolbe Academy material + Discovery Education and Various Science Resources....It works well in general, but I've found that the kids will give up on the classes as too many workbooks unless I start the day by teaching them interactively on a subject for 45 minutes, let them do 2hrs of workbooks + take a break/lunch + do something else interactive with them for 30-40 minutes + do another 1-2hrs of book/paper learning + let them go to park/sports + get on the wii u to play sports/fitness games...this is the only way I can make a real classical curriculum not feel like drudgery to them.

I love the memoria press curriculum and pair it up with Kolbe Academy material + Discovery Education and Various Science Resources....It works well in general, but I've found that the kids will give up on the classes as too many workbooks unless I start the day by teaching them interactively on a subject for 45 minutes, let them do 2hrs of workbooks + take a break/lunch + do something else interactive with them for 30-40 minutes + do another 1-2hrs of book/paper learning + let them go to park/sports + get on the wii u to play sports/fitness games...this is the only way I can make a real classical curriculum not feel like drudgery to them.

Thanks! We decided this morning that we are using Memoria Press, and I feel so much relief! What do you use from Kolbe? I almost chose Kolbe or STAA because I just cannot do the planning anymore. I have figured out some ways to encourage and integrate creativity and I have decided I am going to feel okay with doing things orally. I think I will just decide what needs to be written and be happy with that, at least for now.

Thanks! We decided this morning that we are using Memoria Press, and I feel so much relief! What do you use from Kolbe? I almost chose Kolbe or STAA because I just cannot do the planning anymore. I have figured out some ways to encourage and integrate creativity and I have decided I am going to feel okay with doing things orally. I think I will just decide what needs to be written and be happy with that, at least for now.

Also, depending how close in age your children are, you can discuss rather than write. White board/ crayons/ markers are good for some lessons, too.

Also, depending how close in age your children are, you can discuss rather than write. White board/ crayons/ markers are good for some lessons, too.

Yes! Love this!

Did you decide how you are going to pare down the workbooks? That was my husband's only concern- that workbooks can kill a love of learning (and they are expensive). We agreed together that we would have the kids do one subject plus composition in writing, then do orally or on whiteboard everything else. That is still way more- and better quality- writing than what our previous curriculum demanded.

Yes! Love this!

Did you decide how you are going to pare down the workbooks? That was my husband's only concern- that workbooks can kill a love of learning (and they are expensive). We agreed together that we would have the kids do one subject plus composition in writing, then do orally or on whiteboard everything else. That is still way more- and better quality- writing than what our previous curriculum demanded.

What ages are you dc? How many do you have?

I'm using one history with mixed ages, so as more of a read aloud and discuss, and not using their Christian Studies. Remember we will be using a different Latin, math and writing (Lively Latin, Singapore and CAP), but I don't think the writing quantity is different, they're mostly programs we are already using and like. In fact, our love of Lively Latin is the reason I looked at MP in the first place, "Hey Latin's kinda fun."

I will use Grammar Recitation, literature, and geography as written in 5th. We will use the nature books as a group, but not the Tiner ones. My middle "spine" child is in 4th. When MP starts the classical history over in 7th, I'll probably switch history spines.

What I have done up to now has pretty much been nearly what Memoria Press has for their earlier grades, even though it wasn't available as a set, with more of a WTM narration approach for literature and history. We even used the same program as their phonics (I'm pretty sure it's developed from Blend Phonics, which has a free web site) and started cursive in 1st grade.

With my younger student, like before, I'm using the literature books as "read together" books with narrations, but use pretty much everything else that MP has. I already own Logic of English and L of E handwriting, but am moving everyone into the Grammar Recitation book 2 and New American Cursive 2 or 3 after they finish L of E. Math is always tricky, but I think Rod and Staff is solid and re-usable for younger siblings. (so is Logic of English and Lively Latin, but you need to reprint the .pdf's)

So I really am using MP's scope as much as their packages, but I really like it as a foundation. ETA, we do Latin as a group, even my youngest can do the chants, I might have split them in two groups next year, but it's more fun together.

We are also using Kolbe/Memoria Press (4th grade). We use all the MP materials Kolbe recommends, plus MP Geography and LCI. We use the Reading, Literature, Religion and Singapore plans from Kolbe.

For 3rd-5th grade:

Kolbe:  Phonics, Voyages in English, Catholic National Reader, General Geography, Worldly Wise, Catechism

Memoria Press: English Grammar Recitation, Latin, Greek History/Greek Mythology, US/Ancient World Geography, Copybook & Cursive Writing, Science Workbooks

Other: Singapore Math, Discovery Education, Life Science & Botany through mishmash of sources, Story of the World, Writing Strands

What ages are you dc? How many do you have?

I'm using one history with mixed ages, so as more of a read aloud and discuss, and not using their Christian Studies. Remember we will be using a different Latin, math and writing (Lively Latin, Singapore and CAP), but I don't think the writing quantity is different, they're mostly programs we are already using and like. In fact, our love of Lively Latin is the reason I looked at MP in the first place, "Hey Latin's kinda fun."

I will use Grammar Recitation, literature, and geography as written in 5th. We will use the nature books as a group, but not the Tiner ones. My middle "spine" child is in 4th. When MP starts the classical history over in 7th, I'll probably switch history spines.

What I have done up to now has pretty much been nearly what Memoria Press has for their earlier grades, even though it wasn't available as a set, with more of a WTM narration approach for literature and history. We even used the same program as their phonics (I'm pretty sure it's developed from Blend Phonics, which has a free web site) and started cursive in 1st grade.

With my younger student, like before, I'm using the literature books as "read together" books with narrations, but use pretty much everything else that MP has. I already own Logic of English and L of E handwriting, but am moving everyone into the Grammar Recitation book 2 and New American Cursive 2 or 3 after they finish L of E. Math is always tricky, but I think Rod and Staff is solid and re-usable for younger siblings. (so is Logic of English and Lively Latin, but you need to reprint the .pdf's)

So I really am using MP's scope as much as their packages, but I really like it as a foundation. ETA, we do Latin as a group, even my youngest can do the chants, I might have split them in two groups next year, but it's more fun together.

We have three children- 9, 8, and 5. Thanks for sharing how you do everything! I had totally forgotten Kolbe has lesson plans. Great to remember just in case. : )