Menu

Accommodations for the SAT

Does anyone have experience applying for accommodations for the SAT? Did you include information other than the evaluations that you've had done? I need to do this for the May SAT, so I have a couple of months to get it together. Do you know if there is a limit on how old the tests can be? DS' are two or three years old, I don't really remember & I'm too lazy to get up and look. 

He should be fine with tests 2-3 years old. However, for accommodations for an LD, whatever documentation you can provide that shows a) a developmental history for the LD- such as earlier evaluations and b ) the use of accommodations in other settings is important.  

I didn't end up doing the application myself because my son entered a B&M school for 11th grade and his school did the application. However, I do know that they included all of the documentation they had in their possession when they submitted the request. Even though he did not have a formal 504 eligibility determination until less than a month before the documentation was filed, everything submitted supported the request and it was approved.

Should I send him every evaluation that relates to his issues and every update? Should I have the NPwrite up a summary instead of seeding them the years worth of files. It sounds like I need to also write a statement describing what he does at home that they would consider an accommodation.

Should I send him every evaluation that relates to his issues and every update? Should I have the NPwrite up a summary instead of seeding them the years worth of files. It sounds like I need to also write a statement describing what he does at home that they would consider an accommodation.

Yes, it would be helpful for you to write a statement outlining the accommodations you give him at home, including how long you have been using them. However, something *I* believe was helpful to our case was a statement written by the school psych who did the evaluation to determine eligibility for a 504 Plan. She outlined the accommodations that I reported to her that we had used at home in her written report for the IEP/504 team. It could be helpful for your NP to write up a summary statement of recommended accommodations and a similar statement supporting your claim to use them at home.

As far as how what previous documentation to include, it's hard to tell. The important reason for including at least one evaluation of some kind from younger years is to establish for the Collegeboard that this is a condition that has been recognized from a young age, rather than someone trying to scam the system.