Menu

Computer usage

I feel like I should start teaching my kids to use the computer more but am not sure how to circumvent my own lack of personal knowledge. It has been over a decade since I've had to use MS Office suite and while I do use the occasional spreadsheet and word doc, that's about the extent of my abilities. I've never really had to use PowerPoint although my work did send me for extensive training in it. Because I never used it, most of what I learned has been completely forgotten.

We don't actually have MS Office at home- I use the open source version, Open Office, and have been very pleased with it, especially for the price. ;) I also switched to Mac several years back so my working knowledge of Windows is slowly slipping. The last Windows version I was forced to use was Windows XP. :ohmy:

So now what? My kids do use the equivalent of Word to type up their writing assignments. They are not overly proficient when it comes to anything other than basic typing and a few editing skills.

Where do I start? Because I'm not expert I don't even know *what* I need to teach about using these programs. I could teach them how to add tables and format them but the need for that hasn't really come up. Same for Excel- I simply have had no reason to teach them. I could create one, I suppose, but I'm not creative and could use a little guidance. Ok, a lot of guidance. :blushing:

And PowerPoint- I am seeing that more and more... having kids do up a PP presentation. I don't know how to use it. I don't even really care for them (PP presentations) myself.

I need to come out of the dark ages for my kids' sakes. Help?

ETA: kids are grade 7 and grade 4 (ages 12 and 9)

Install the program and give the kids a project. They will figure out how to use the software to accomplish their task.

That's how we adults became proficient in computer use, and that's how my kids learned all the things they need: by doing.

They learned to use powerpoint by preparing presentations, word processing by completing writing assignments, excel by having to make spreadsheets for various tasks, scientific graphing program for their high school science lab, basic web design by designing a web page for an organization. What they need are projects that make the use of software necessary and the opportunity to freely play around with it and figure out how stuff works.

ETA: for the 4th grader, I see no pressing need. For the 7th grader, some more exposure would be good.

Install the program and give the kids a project. They will figure out how to use the software to accomplish their task.

That's how we adults became proficient in computer use, and that's how my kids learned all the things they need: by doing.

They learned to use powerpoint by preparing presentations, word processing by completing writing assignments, excel by having to make spreadsheets for various tasks, scientific graphing program for their high school science lab, basic web design by designing a web page for an organization. What they need are projects that make the use of software necessary and the opportunity to freely play around with it and figure out how stuff works.

ETA: for the 4th grader, I see no pressing need. For the 7th grader, some more exposure would be good.

Could you please, please, PLEASE give me some project ideas or turn me in the direction where I can find some?  I am drained of creative juices lately.  I'm good with implementation but thinking of what to do is beyond my capabilities until LO starts sleeping at least a couple consecutive hours at night. 

Could you please, please, PLEASE give me some project ideas or turn me in the direction where I can find some?  I am drained of creative juices lately.  I'm good with implementation but thinking of what to do is beyond my capabilities until LO starts sleeping at least a couple consecutive hours at night. 

When my kids were middle school age (5th through 7th grades), I never gave worksheeets or similar assignments; they always had to prepare one larger project per semester to demonstrate what they had learned about one topic of their choice in history and science - either a report, or an oral presentation, or a poster.

They loved giving oral presentations and would create power point visuals to support the presentation. For example, the first day my son was homeschooled in 5th grade, he begged to be allowed to make a presentation about the Battle of Thermopylae; his 7th grade sister showed him how to use the program, and then he taught himself. In 6th grade, DD created a poster about Renaissance astronomy and the development of a heliocentric world view (which we had then printed).

When she was 13, DD wanted to create a web page for the barn where she rides and taught herself web design for that purpose. She subsequently was asked to design pages for a local equestrian association and a horse show. I could also see a student creating a webpage just for any topic of his interest.

Not sure whether this helps. I personally always found that I learn computer stuff when I need it, and not as a "dry run" - so I would give the kids opportunities to need the software I'd like them to master.

So, basically change the format of assignments in content subjects from sole writing to forms that incorporate graphics, tables, images: slide shows, posters, brochures, web pages.

My older son is quite proficient in Windows, even though we didn't get a computer until he was a tween and quickly discovered GNU/Linux. I'd just let them use Open Office or upgrade to LibreOffice and not stress too much. M$ just. isn't. worth. it.

I've never owned an Apple but used one at work for data entry. It didn't take much explaining.