Menu

Question based on California editorial

So far homeschooling in California seems very easy compared to a lot of other states - I have seen several threads describing what those in other states have to go through to homeschool.

So, I am interested in the hive's take on this editorial:

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2008/08/homeschooling-.html

What kind of "light regulations" do you deal with? Do any of you think that those "light regulations" protect children in abusive or potentially abusive situations? Do they really think that this is a good idea? Why is it, or is it not, a good idea?

Well, first of all, HS being treated as a Private school is how it is done in Texas, it ensures that the state has no jurisdiction. As for the concerns raised about the kids who were mistreated, that would have happened even if they were in school. The parents would not have been better parents just because the children were in public school. I dont see how this example is relevant. THis issue is people not acting as parents, HS'ing really is not the issue.

What kind of "light regulations" do you deal with?

• Here's the deal: Children in California must be enrolled in a public school or a private school, or tutored full time by credentialed teacher.

• Private schools must file an affidavit annually. So, hsers need only file an affidavit annually.

• Many hsers enroll their dc in private schools which enroll hsed students; some of these private schools have *only* hsed students, some have campuses but also enroll hsers. On paper, filing one's own private school affidavit or enrolling in another private school are the same thing legally.

• Private schools are not regulated, other than the requirement to file the affidavit. There are some paperwork things and whatnots, but they are not a big deal; there are not requirements for testing, graduation, minimum # of school days, nothin'.

Do any of you think that those "light regulations" protect children in abusive or potentially abusive situations? Do they really think that this is a good idea? Why is it, or is it not, a good idea?

Interesting that the author of the article thought that home visits were "light regulations." ACK! No, I do NOT think that "light regulations" protect children. If that were so, there wouldn't be so many children who are actually in the system still being abused, KWIM? And there's no reason to make any kind of regulations that assume that parents are guilty.

Interesting that the author of the article thought that home visits were "light regulations." ACK! No, I do NOT think that "light regulations" protect children. If that were so, there wouldn't be so many children who are actually in the system still being abused, KWIM? And there's no reason to make any kind of regulations that assume that parents are guilty.

:iagree:

I mean even with heinous crimes people are innocent until proven guilty. I'm sure statistics bear out that there is a much higher percentage of unknown/unreported abuse in both public and private schools. To automatically assume I am committing a crime there is no evidence for is to strip away the fundamental rights I have as an American. IMHO :)