Menu

Grammar

Jana

I need a little help planning and executing grammar in my house.

I have three boys, grades 7th, 4th, and 2nd and I have used First Language Lessons with all of them. I also use Writing with Ease for the younger two and Writing with Skill for the oldest.

The oldest completed First Language Lessons through level four and I have tried to use Analytical Grammar, and Michael Clay Thompson's material with little success. I have found Analytical Grammar's practice sentences very complicated and working through the material always requires lots of my time. Alternatively, I don't have a clue how to formulate Michael Clay Thompson's material into any kind of a structured program.

Here's what I'd like:

A program that teaches grammar concepts, is highly structured, and doesn't require lots of my time. (I'm in graduate school full time and it's grammar that keeps getting dropped off the list.)

If you have suggestions for using Analytical Grammar or Michael Clay Thompson that would be great. If you have an alternative program, I'd be happy to hear about that too. I'm open to any and all suggestions. What I'd really like is for Susan Wise Bauer to publish her grammar program for middle school (I don't care if it's a bizillion pages long).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

SWB recommends Rod & Staff for grammar. I haven't used it but some people here report it can be done somewhat independently, at least by older kids. (IMO, I wouldn't stress about grammar instruction until around 4th grade anyway.)

If you prefer something secular, Hake grammar (but not writing, which is a minor portion of the program, in a separate book) is often mentioned as an alternative. Hake is independent, written to the student, and thorough, with review built in to every lesson. If there's too much review for your taste, you can just skip parts of it without missing anything.

We tried MCT grammar as a break from Hake, and DS asked to go back to Hake instead of continuing MCT. I really wanted to love it, but I agree with you. MCT grammar is just too free-flowing for our taste, I guess. (But we love MCT vocab.)

There's also Easy Grammar, with the optional companion Daily Grams for review. It doesn't include diagramming but diagramming could be added via other resources if you like the program otherwise.

So there's a few more options for you to look at. HTH.

BTW, your post appears on the K-8 writing workshop board, but you'll probably get more feedback if you X-post on the K-8 curriculum board. : )

• 1 month later...