Menu

Cambridge Latin

I've done several searches, and only found that people are doing and liking Cambridge Latin, but I haven't seen any info about how you teach it.  How do you work through the book?  I have the book and workbook, but I'm still waiting on the teacher's manual.  Indy is really quite burned out on Latin Prep I and has started dreading it.  I think this will be a good fit for him.  How do you use it?  How quickly do you progress?

I sit down with two of my kids and we work through the textbook together. We do it mostly orally (especially since one is severely dysgraphic). I subscribe to the Cambridge Latin online activities:

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=clc^oa_intro^oa_unit1

I paid in pounds for the online subscription - it worked out to be about $12 or $14 dollars a year. This takes the place of workbook activities for us and both boys can use it. It also has the stories from the text online as well as an interactive dictionary. It also has lots of supplemental resources and history online, but we generally don't use these.

We usually progress at one lesson every 1-2 weeks. We take it slow and steady and have a lot of things in life that have interfered with progressing very fast.

We really enjoy learning Latin this way. I took Latin in high school and had a text more like Wheelocks. Cambridge Latin is working great for my family. However if your goal is to learn every nuance of the grammar and do AP testing, this might not be the route you want to take - or at least add something else as well.