Menu

WWS 2 Expository writing background ?

sbgrace

I am thinking of using a program that teaches expository writing using a sort of formulaic model--say introduction with topic sentence, paragraphs  to add detail/support, conclusion. Will this type of instruction be a hindrance or cause any problems if we later use WWS2? I don't want to teach something now that might contradict what is taught in WWS, as I hope to use the program in a few years.

Ok, now I get you!   :lol:

I don't think it will cause problems specifically with using WWS.  In fact, it might help, if it also talks about the big picture of writing.  WWS1 dives you right into writing chronological narratives, descriptions, etc. but it doesn't really take a step back and teach the whole composition process until the very end.  Writing introductions and conclusions isn't covered until Week 6 of WWS2.  WWS2 seems to be much more coherent (from my point of view) in that it has students producing whole compositions.  It's definitely not formulaic in the sense that you are describing, but WWS1 does lack the big-picture, birds-eye view of writing a whole composition, IMO.

If you've taught the whole composition in a kind of formulaic way, you will probably find that what WWS1 does is helps your student write the pieces in a much better, and less formulaic way, but they will have an idea of the whole that is lacking in WWS1.  It's even possible that you will teach the rudiments of the composition-writing process with the program you are describing and then find that you don't need WWS1.   Either way, I don't think using something else first will hurt.  I'm not sure that WWS1 is the best way to start teaching expository writing to a more holistic, big picture, whole to parts kind of thinker (as you will be aware if you've read the many recent WWS threads!)  ;)

Anyway, I hope that helps.  We did WWS1, and now we are going "back" and covering the big-picture view of the writing process.  With my next dd, I plan to reverse the order of these two steps, so what you are describing doesn't sound like a bad plan to me at all.

Now, this is not addressing the pros & cons of teaching "the 5 paragraph essay" or another formula which I think isn't what you are asking about, right?

I'm sure it's me. I'll try again! I edited the OP. We are not ready for Writing with Skill. But I would like to teach expository writing next year. I want to make sure the program I use won't teach something I'll have to "unteach" when we use Writing With Skill.

Are you looking for suggestions for an expository writing program, or do you already have one in mind and are wondering if it will complement WWS?

We used IEW's SWI-B for 5th grade, before starting WWS1 in 6th grade. IEW and WWS are quite different from each other but I think they're complementary, and we haven't found that they contradict each other. In his WWS assignments, DS uses many of the techniques he learned from IEW.

In 5th grade, we also skimmed through sections of the Writing Skills series by Diana Hanbury King.  It teaches expository writing in a very basic, no frills way. That also helped DS improve his paragraphing skills and built confidence too.