Menu

Can someome tell ma about Idaho Falls?

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

We lived in Idaho Falls back in 2006, but I haven't been there since. It's super cold in the winter, and the wind factor can be brutal. But it's gorgeous in the summer. Lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation if you're into that sort of thing. When we were there, there were quite a few options for shopping and dining. I would just google some of the things that are important to you and see if they have them. It can only have gotten better since we were there. Definitely had everything we needed.

You can get a lot of house--and land--for your money, especially if you look in nearby places like Rigby (super close).

I think the closest big city is Salt Lake, and that is about three hours away. There is a university in nearby Rexburg (BYU-Idaho). We like to have universities around for the cultural factor. I actually went to BYU (in Utah), but I don't know much about the culture at BYU-I.

Southeast Idaho is predominantly Mormon, if that matters to you.

We liked it in Idaho Falls. We weren't there long because of some family circumstances, but we liked it. Where do you live now?

We lived in Idaho Falls back in 2006, but I haven't been there since. It's super cold in the winter, and the wind factor can be brutal. But it's gorgeous in the summer. Lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation if you're into that sort of thing. When we were there, there were quite a few options for shopping and dining. I would just google some of the things that are important to you and see if they have them. It can only have gotten better since we were there. Definitely had everything we needed.

You can get a lot of house--and land--for your money, especially if you look in nearby places like Rigby (super close).

I think the closest big city is Salt Lake, and that is about three hours away. There is a university in nearby Rexburg (BYU-Idaho). We like to have universities around for the cultural factor. I actually went to BYU (in Utah), but I don't know much about the culture at BYU-I.

Southeast Idaho is predominantly Mormon, if that matters to you.

We liked it in Idaho Falls. We weren't there long because of some family circumstances, but we liked it. Where do you live now?

Thanks for this info...very helpful. Right now we live in Iowa, but up until 3 years ago (our Iowa move) we lived in Louisiana all our lives. The cold does not scare me and have enjoyed the snow...actually looking for a place with more snow and less heat in summer. We love outdoor activities so the news about outdoor activities is encouraging.

Housing is important though. When we moved to Iowa I was shocked at the housing or lack of it. Rentals are mostly geared to college students and the quality of the houses that are available for rent or purchase has been extremely hard to deal with.

An area with a more conservative air is a plus. Where we live in Iowa it is NOT conservative and it has added a negative feel to our stay here.

Thanks again...

If you want conservative, Idaho Falls would be a great place for you. That wasn't my favorite part of living in the area.  It's also not very religiously or ethnically diverse, although Idaho Falls is a little more diverse than the rest of SE Idaho.  It is very Mormon.

We lived a little north of Idaho Falls but would go there to shop at Winco and do some other things. It's not a very big town, but it's bigger than the place we lived. :) It's pretty cheap to live there. You're also less than an hour from Pocatello which is another larger (for SE Idaho city).  Idaho State University is there.

I loved being so close to Yellowstone and the Tetons.  When the parks were open we'd go often.  I think that was my favorite part about living there.

My husband is from Idaho falls and my parents grew up in rigby. I never lived there as a child but went there often to visit both sides of grandparents. But parents moved back there about ten years ago. I went to college in rexburg and my husband and I lived in IF for about 8 months after marrying.

All that to let you know I am very familiar with the area :) and we would do anything to go back. We love it there and visit nearly every summer for weeks at a times.

It is cold in the winter and beautiful in the summer. Housing is well priced and you get basements which totally changes your home and how you can store things etc. (I live in a place with very few basements and we've never had one. I miss them a lot)

Not sure what else to tell you but if my husband got a job there we would be gone immediatly :) I guess I would ask where he is considering working and how stable it is and if it can reasonably support you. The economy isn't great up there which is why we've never been able to move there. Not a lot of high paying professional jobs.