Menu

How I know that girls are still an academic subject for my 14yo aspie

saraha

Now for this story to make sense, you have to understand how important food is to my son.  It can make or break his day.  We could be at Disney World and if he had to eat food that was not his favorite or he didn't like, he would say it was an ok day except for having to eat...  If he was having a terrible, no good, very bad day, it could all be turned around with a plate of ravioli.  His favorite foods are pasta, pizza and tacos.

So while I was making dough for Stromboli he walks up to me and says  "I am going to marry a girl who is half Mexican and half Italian."  I know where this is going since everything comes back to food eventually.    So I say "That doesn't guarantee she will know how to cook." 

"That's true."  he responds.  Know I can hear his wheels turning and he is trying to figure out another way to get what he wants.

"You know, you could meet girls that at least want to learn how to cook if you take a cooking class.  That would be a good way to meet girls."

"Well, yeah, I guess I could do that."  he says kind of disappointed.

"What, you don't think that is a good idea?"

"Yeah I think that is a good idea.  What makes you think I didn't think it was a good Idea?

"I guess your reaction."

"Well, how would you have wanted me to react so you could know that I thought it was a good idea?"

"You could have said, good idea mom.  That would make it pretty clear."

"Good Idea Mom."

"Yeah, and see, if you take a cooking class, and even if you don't meet any girls, you could still learn a few things while you were there."

"Yeah I guess."  he says less than enthusiastically

"What?"

"well, don't you think that is an expensive way to meet girls?"

Me thinking "Son, if you only knew how much money you will spend in your lifetime trying to meet girls!"

I told this story to my husband when he called before leaving work and when I got to my sons response about cost, I just said it and let it sink in.  He paused for a minute, then laughed and laughed.  He said "I think you are right, girls are still an academic subject for him!"