Menu

Math advice needed...2nd grade math with 2 other littles plus a newborn

jkl

Right now, my 7 year old is doing MEP year 2. I like it a lot, and he tolerates it (he is not in any way mathematically inclined. I'm not either). We are having trouble getting it done now, so I know it's going to be very difficult to do when we have a newborn in the house (I'm due in Feb). I am trying to decide if we should switch, and if we do switch, when...and to what.... I think we might need something that has a teacher directed lesson at the beginning, and then independent student practice. Unfortunately, I got a free sample of a Math Mammoth unit a long time ago and tried it with ds, and he hated the style, which is exactly what I just said we may need. So, you see the problem! I really hate to switch, but...Help!

Maybe MUS which has videos.   It is not especially "mathy" but maybe during new baby time something like a Spectrum workbook, just to keep things going along.     Khan Academy videos maybe.  The computer version of Math Detective, maybe.   Math in Focus if it is self-teaching enough?   Something that will at least get done will be better than something that you love, but does not get done.

I was also going to recommend CLE. It's spiral like MEP, so keeps things more interesting. It's also good at building up confidence in kids who don't think they're any good at math. :) The instruction is solid, and it has various practice items built in (speed drills, flash cards, skip counting in many different ways, etc.). It's written to the student and very easy to teach, with new material at the beginning, and review work (independent) after that. My math-phobic friend had no trouble using it with her equally math-phobic daughter. :D