Menu

Transcript question: How to record the senior year?

Donna J.

I need help, please!

My senior dd is applying to colleges this week. She has filled out the application, written essays and sent in her SAT scores. It is now time for me (as her counselor) to submit her transcript, but I’m not sure how to manage the “senior†year. With the 7th semester not yet finished and graded....

* Do I leave it blank? 

* Do I record what subjects she is currently doing with an *, saying “Work in Progress [final grades not yet earned/achieved]�

* Do I add to the transcript what the plans will be for the 8th semester? 

* Or, something different?

Please advise!

Donna

I list all courses for both semesters of the senior year on the transcript with an X in the column where the grade would be.

In the notes section, I explain that X denotes a class in progress or planned.

Writing "final grade not earned/achieved" is unnecessary, IMO - "in progress" makes it clear that the course has not been completed.

I too listed current and future classes.  My daughter took several classes at the local community college each quarter as a twelfth grader.  Where I did not yet know a course name (as for the spring quarter), I wrote To Be Determined for the course name.  Similarly to Regentrude, I put an X for in progress and future classes.  In the Notes section of the transcript, I wrote:  X indicates a current or future class.

If you'd like to see my daughter's transcript, I'd be happy to send you (or others) a copy.  Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

I did the same as previous posters. I listed all the classes and in the spot for credit/grade put "in progress."  He will take a spring class at the cc and that class was listed as TBD with the asterisk indicating it will be taken at the cc.

He's applied quite a few places and no problems (that I know of) so far!

I use "IP" for courses in progress, and I explain the abbreviation in the key.  I think I got that from the HSLDA website.  They have some good transcript info there.

Agreeing with Regentrude that no further explanation is needed.  This is very common and obvious.

As for adding in courses for later semesters that aren't in progress yet, I think it depends on how your transcript is set up.  I've left off future years when ds was applying to colleges for dual enrollment, but for the current year I may want to be clear that the courses he is taking aren't all for that year.  However, if the semesters were clearly distinct on the transcript, then I'd just put the current semester and leave myself some wiggle room to change things up in that last semester.  Again, it will be common for the college, and if they want more info they will ask.

Julie