Menu

Sequencing Apologia with MFW

Juliegmom

I plan to go through MFW's history cycle with my youngest. My dd is currently using Apologia's Swimming Creatures and we are loving it! My middle dd is also using Apologia for biology this year and it is working nicely.

I am looking at the other Apologia books to determine which ones would fit nicely with MFW for CtG, RtR, Exp to 1850 and 1850 to Mod. Any suggestions from those of you who are familiar with MFW and Apologia?

Here are my tentative thoughts:

ECC/4th - Land Animals

CtG/5th - Chemistry/Physics

RtR/6th - Human Anatomy or Astronomy as MFW's recommends, but leaning towards anatomy

Exp to 1850/7th - General Science

1850 to Mod/8th - Physical Science

Of course this is all subject to change, but I like to to have some sort of plan in place.

Thanks!

My kids enjoy Apologia, too.

The science in ECC meshes well with the study of the various countries. We did not substitute an Apologia text this year.

We did not enjoy MFW's science in CtG so I substituted Apologia's Astronomy since I had a child who really wanted to learn about Astronomy. I think your plan to do the Chemistry/Physics text during the CtG year is a good one. If you are teaching only 1 child in the 5th grade, then it would be relatively easy to complete 2 Apologia texts this year especially if it is a subject your child enjoys.

RtR schedules both Human Anatomy and Astronomy.  My kids have enjoyed the scheduled Human Anatomy using MFW's selections for the first part of this year so I did not substitute for the Apologia text. We plan on doing the Chemistry/Physics book the last half of the year since we completed Astronomy last year.

HTH

I think your science plan would work since your student will be a 7th & 8th grader when you get to EX1850 and 1850MOD.  Land Animals (w/other books, not Apologia) are typically studied in EX1850, but since he'll be doing General, it's no loss to move that subject to ECC.  Likewise with Chem/Physics and moving it from 1850MOD to CTG. 

During RTR, however, *BOTH* Human Anatomy and Astronomy are studied that year... two full sciences, one each semester.  Apologia is used for Astronomy, so no change there, but you'd have to decide whether you want to use the resources MFW has scheduled for the H&A study, or use the Apologia H&A book instead.  By that point, you might enjoy a break from Apologia for one semester. ;) 

So there ya' go! :)

Thank you ladies! Donna, I thought about waiting to use Land Animals until we hit EX1850, but you are right in saying that we may want a break from Apologia some where down the road. I really want to capture my dd's enjoyment of Apologia and enthusiam for animals so next year it is! :-) We enjoy the notebook jounal activities as well.