Menu

Girl Rising documentary

bodiesmom

Has anyone seen this? I'm interested in taking my dd10 to a showing of it this weekend and am wondering if it would be appropriate for her. The rating is PG-13 with the mature discussions contributing to the rating. I understand that nothing graphic is shown, but just wanted to see what the thoughts are of those who have seen it first hand.

Thanks!

D

I saw it with DD11.  There are definitely mature themes.  There is one story where 2 girls catch a ride on a cart, and one girl jumps off and runs away.  The other girl "battles the man with a piece of glass she had hidden in her clothes and defeated him like a superhero". This part of the story is shown as a cartoon. The real truth, which is heavily hinted at but not overtly stated, is that she was raped by that man. I am pretty sure the police are no help to her but I might be forgetting something they did while I was explaining, in whispers, what was going on.  

I am still glad I took DD to see the movie.  It is beautifully done and let her see lives she would not otherwise see. We did talk a lot afterwards about the implied rape and how dangerous it is to take rides with strangers. If your DD is mature for her age it is a good movie to see.  If she is still quite childlike, I'd skip it.