Menu

Salem, MA things to do/see

whitestavern

I'm looking for recommendations for things to do in Salem, MA.  My dc are 13 & 11.  We've been studying this period in history and would like to head up for a day or two.  There are so many things that look good, but I'm hoping someone who's been there/done that can give me some feedback on what is the best of the best.  Here's the list so far:

Salem Witch Walk

Burying Point

Corwin House

October Witch Trial Trail

New England Pirate Museum

Salem Witch Museum

Haunted Magic Show

Witch Dungeon Museum

Witch History Museum

The Friendship (ship)

Witch Trials Memorial

Chestnut Street

Cry Innocent & Folkways (History Alive)

Gallows Hill

Nathaniel Bowditch House

Pioneer Village

Wax Museum

Witch Village

Salem's 13 Ghosts 3D Haunted House

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Also not a huge fan of Salem. Many of the witch things are kind of honky-tonk and pretty cheesy. 

This may not be your cup of tea since you're interested in history, but I'll put in a good word for the Peabody Essex Museum. It's not huge, so very approachable and has some neat ship artifacts and maritime art. The museum shop is also very nice!

The witch stuff is pretty much all cheesy garbage. Totally not worth it.

Now, Salem has some great stuff, people just don't know what to see amid all the schlock.

Here's what to see in Salem:

Witches:

~The Witch House (Corwin House) - house of a judge in the trials. The only original building still standing in Salem even peripherally involved in the Trials. Nice tour.

~Witch Trials Memorial is just a bunch of stones in a semi-circle. Not impressive, but free and not overly tacky at least.

China Trade: (Salem was the hub of the China Trade through the 1700's. Great stuff about this there).

~Customs House

~China Trade Tall Ship (Friendship)

~Peabody Essex Museum (lots of exhibits related to the China Trade and many other things, including a 200-yr-old house from China reassembled piece-by-piece, very cool). You could spend most of a day in this museum.

Misc.:

~House of Seven Gables. Great tour.

~Colonial-era graveyard (right next to the Witch Trials Memorial).

Then you should head off to Marblehead, a wonderfully quaint little seaside town with lots of parks jutting out into the water. One has the remains of a colonial-era fort. Also tidepooling on the rocks.