Menu

Quick dinner help, please?

Spryte

Aaaack.

DH's CFO is coming to dinner.  Tonight, late (cultural norm for him).  He eats like a bird apparently, we are keeping this mellow and easy.  Roasted chicken, sauteed green beans and red peppers cooked in wine.  We had planned a light fruit salad with yogurt as something sweet, and of course, espresso to follow.

We are a one car family, and DH has the car (picking up CFO, who's flying in from France).  

I am cutting up the fruit from the fruit salad... and... ugh.  DH picked up the strawberries yesterday and they are moldy inside the carton.  YUCK.  He couldn't find blueberries, apparently, but I didn't notice till today.  Eek.  Striking out here.

So... For the fruit, we have only pineapple and blackberries.  I have some clementines and apples, but had not planned on those for the fruit salad.  The yogurt is coconut milk yogurt, FWIW, as we are dairy free here.  

What can I do with this combination?  Or should I chuck the whole idea of something sweet since I doubt he's going to care anyway?  

I would just mix the pineapple and blackberries without the yogurt.  As you suspect it's not a big deal to him to have something sweet, I wouldn't use the other fruit you have.  If you are really concerned it will be too sparse, use an apple too.  It would be nice to offer something, though. 

Apples are in season and very American. I would probably do something with them:

-apple crisp (sounds really good to me right now and I know how to make it, so I would probably do that)

-baked apples (I've never done them so probably wouldn't risk it)

-home made applesauce

-apple salad (we do this by dicing 3 apples which are mixed with ~1 cup yogurt with a bit of cinnamon stirred in. My friend adds raisins; we don't. If you're anxious to use the yogurt, this would work).