Menu

Total Language Plus

I recently came across Total Language Plus and am interested in using some of their American history literature guides along side Notgrass Exploring America.  I plan to use the literature package from Notgrass, but will probably still add a few other books with some type of comprehension guides.  This year my dd is using Wordly Wise and Easy Grammar, but I'm thinking of eliminating these two next year and using TLP.  Does anyone have any experience with TLP?  I've also considered Progeny Press, but I don't have experience with these either. :unsure:

Thank you! 

Hi!  Yes, I've used TLP and PP off and on for a few years.  This year my dd is in 9th grade and when I read your post we have many similarities.

We started Notgrass Exploring America this year.  We are not using the literature or Bible units.  I wanted to use the Bible along with hisotry credits (to make 2 credits), but my dd wanted another Bible Study.  Literature I went all out this year.  She's done so well in Abeka grammar that I dropped the formal program and now use AG/American to tie in with American History.  AG is her grammar review.  Her literature is supplemented by TLP and PP, but not for every book as it's very time consuming and guides are not available for every book.   TLP and PP are both faith-based.  My dd's scores (annual test) improved after using these study guides and using Vocab from Classical Roots.  I tried WW with her, but she never liked it. 

Also, my dd doesn't really like Notgrass so I'll change next year's world history and to that note, I'm off to start a thread! :)

ETA:  I like Notgrass alot as well as TLP and PP.  DD likes the guides. 

Sheryl,

I'm so thankful for your response! This is only our second year homeschooling and the first for my dd that will be using Notgrass next year (and potentially TLP).

We had originally planned to use Notgrass for world history this year, but decided to give Sonlight a try when a friend graciously offered to loan it to me. It's been a big flop for us and I really wish we would have stuck with our original plan to use Notgrass.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions. Would you mind sharing what your dd didn't like about Notgrass? If you had to do it over again what would you use for American History? I also noticed that you are using Essentials in Writing. This is on my radar to potentially purchase for the same dd that I mentioned above. My husband and I are working closely with her after noticing significant gaps in her writing skills. We are using the Write for College handbook, but are considering adding in EIW if we find that she needs additional instruction to help bridge the gap. What are your thoughts on EIW?

My dd has never had formal grammar so I feel this is an important component to maintain in her language arts studies. I don't care a whole lot for Easy Grammar. Wordly Wise is ok. I like the idea of being able to combine skills in TLP. I also know that the grass is not always greener on the other side! My dd doesn't complain about EG or WW so maybe I should just leave well enough alone. :-)

Thanks, again, for responding! I'll be following your world history thread and hope you find the perfect fit for you and your dd. Best wishes!

Julie