Menu

book reports

angelmama1209

I started them on the "fill out a form" type (google "3rd grade book report" and you'll find lots, and the Book-It site has some), then, after they had done a bunch and knew what kinds of things to look for, transitioned to writing a 3-paragraph report.  For the non-form one, I gave them a list of questions from CHC's 4th grade lesson plans, but you can find lots of other lists.   For Book-It, I'm more likely to require a book project instead of a report (this is my favorite site plus I found a book of ideas at Goodwill).  The reports are a separate requirement, every month or two starting in 3rd or 4th grade.

Doing book reports at all, is a controversial subject here. Many people are vehemently distainful of them. For those that do them, there is such a variety of methods, one family's "book report" is unrecognizable from another.

One family might want the child to focus on Christian character traits of the main characters and little else. Some families use them to teach summary, while others don't allow summary and expect evaluation instead. Some families dive right into using high-school level literary techniques language, while others don't expect students to even know the terms.

"Book report" is almost as vague a term as "homeschooling".

I have used book reports as an easy and repeatable writing prompt, for students that are intimidated by the writing process.. I don't think book reports are necessary in general, but they can be useful. They should never be assigned for EVERY book. That can dampen student enthusiasm to read.

Doing book reports at all, is a controversial subject here. Many people are vehemently distainful of them. For those that do them, there is such a variety of methods, one family's "book report" is unrecognizable from another.

One family might want the child to focus on Christian character traits of the main characters and little else. Some families use them to teach summary, while others don't allow summary and expect evaluation instead. Some families dive right into using high-school level literary techniques language, while others don't expect students to even know the terms.

"Book report" is almost as vague a term as "homeschooling".

I have used book reports as an easy and repeatable writing prompt, for students that are intimidated by the writing process.. I don't think book reports are necessary in general, but they can be useful. They should never be assigned for EVERY book. That can dampen student enthusiasm to read.

I don't plan to use them for every book. just 1-2 a month so I know she's actually read them before blindly rewarding her. she's never done one before and may never do one again, idk. she's also never done formal writing and needs to work on her skills and I thought this would be a good way to incorporate that in a fun and rewarding way. that's why I chose to not have her just tell me what its about.

I started them on the "fill out a form" type (google "3rd grade book report" and you'll find lots, and the Book-It site has some), then, after they had done a bunch and knew what kinds of things to look for, transitioned to writing a 3-paragraph report.  For the non-form one, I gave them a list of questions from CHC's 4th grade lesson plans, but you can find lots of other lists.   For Book-It, I'm more likely to require a book project instead of a report (this is my favorite site plus I found a book of ideas at Goodwill).  The reports are a separate requirement, every month or two starting in 3rd or 4th grade.

thank you. this was helpful

I compromised on the book report.  My girls keep bookmarks.  The bookmark has two primary purposes.  As they find a word that they feel is worth remembering or one that they do not know, it goes on the front of the bookmark.  When they finish the book, they rate it by coloring in the stars and write a summary on the back of the bookmark.  We do WOW, or words of worth.  WOW comes from reading and is used for writing.  It is a means of finding super awesome words that they can choose to use in their formal writing and essays.  Long story, but it is our compromise to writing an actual book report.  In this way, the girls keep track of favorite books in a series they are reading too.  Sometimes, the WOWs are few and sometimes, as was the case with the Cat of Bubastes (did I spell that right?), they are numerous and require margin notes too. 

If you are set on a book report beginning, I remember long ago reading about a method.  1) photocopy the front of the book 2) write a summary that includes the author, illustrator, and page numbers (more like a blurb of the setting, plot and characters) 3)  insert into a clear plastic sleeve with the photocopy as the front and the summary as the back.  Insert the sleeve into a 3-ring binder.  I used something similar with dd 1 who is now long gone and working in the real world. Look for a book report template that would meet your wants.  :)