Menu

What would a Spalding Handwriting Workbook look like?

eloquacious

My son's Kindergarten teacher has been sending home sheets that look like this: 

https://plus.google.com/photos/110454973130195142203/albums/5926680931107345985

The last two sheets are from a curriculum called Step by Step Stories that I downloaded a while back. It has a great idea, but doesn't follow through for more than three single letter phonograms. Still, the production value is a bit higher than our teacher-produced stuff.

I find myself wondering how one could best go about creating a Spalding-style handwriting workbook. These are all good ideas. Do you have any others? What order do you introduce the letters/phonograms? How much practice / how many practice pages?

I would love to have a resource like this, I find myself ordering things like HWOT or Kumon books because I want to have a preprinted thing, but I would prefer the Spalding method of handwriting, as that is what our boys will learn in school.

Thoughts?

The first few pages could be really large clock faces for finger tracing. There could be sheets to laminate for reusable practice.

• Like 1

When I was teaching my son to write, I made up the following:

http://media500.dropshots.com/photos/365957/20130923/094146.jpg

I laminated it and had him use a dry erase crayon (it gives more "drag" feedback than a marker, requires a firmer grip, doesn't smudge for lefties, and is washable). The left hand side is for letters like a, c, e, etc. The right hand side is for letters like b (start at the dot), g (use the bottom clock segment for the lower curve), f (start at tall 2), and other letters with tall/low parts that need guidance.

It's not perfect, but it worked well enough. I think I'll probably skip it for my younger ones (2nd oldest isn't ready fine motor skill wise, so I don't have to decide yet).

• Like 1

We started with all the clock letters, a, c, d, f, g, o, q, s, then the line letters. WRTR specifically says don't do a string of the same letters in a row, but to do a series of different phonograms, I don't remember why. We did the written phonogram review for handwriting practice, I would say the sound then he would write the phonogram. At the beginning I said the whole "start at two, go up and around the clock..." every time he wrote until he learned it. Then we used the spelling notebook for handwriting, which is what we still use this year.

ETA: I forgot that she also mentions using regular lined paper and regular pencils. If they use big paper it doesn't use the same motions as writing, it is drawing. Even my four year old is getting the hang of writing that small :).

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I had the same thought, so I made my own clock paper to print, and laminate.

Teachers pay Teachers has clock letter handwriting worksheets here:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Handwriting-Clock-Letter-Spalding-Paper-3289330#

It's a printable bundle great for practicing, I'll try to upload a sample.

ETA: my phone's picture us too large for the forum....

Edited by homeschoolkitty