Menu

AP American History--need a few resources

Hi,

My daughter wants to try the AP American History exam in May, even though we are not doing an approved curriculum.  I have the basic books for her to go through.  What I need is:

*a few additional biographies, historical fiction, or any other "fun, but educational" resources for this period.

*the best AP study guide.  It seems that there are a few out there and I don't know which one to buy!!

I would appreciate any resources that people are using.

Thanks so much!

pam

My teen took an out of the home AP US History class which used Bailey's American Pageant. (Here's a link to the 15th edition; my daughter used the 12th.) She enjoyed the book (the class read the entire 1000 page plus book!); she thought it had personality. For a summer reading assignment prior to the start of class, they read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America by Steven M. Gillon. The latter book was written to accompany a History Channel series of that title.

Before the AP test, she found these flash cards of use for review; she also took the SAT subject test and scored well.  A fun add on was the Cartoon History of the United States by Larry Gonick.

Regards,
Kareni

My dd took this class last year online with Mrs.Richman and she recommended an amazing study guide-http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_22?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+insiders+complete+guide+to+ap+us+history+the+essential+content&sprefix=The+insiders+complete+%2Caps%2C216. The Insiders Complete Guide to AP US History: The Essential Content. The author also has a website with mini podcasts to listen to, I'm pretty sure he has the site listed in the book. Another idea might be Greg Feldmeth's free question of the day-here's the registration page if you are interested. http://fs18.formsite.com/gfeldmeth/form392609765/index.html

HTH