Menu

Business Plan writing- any tips?

caitlinsmom

I opened a business this last week that has been months in the making.  Right now I am only selling online or to my local community.  I want to be able to expand here locally but I need to have a commercial kitchen in place to do so.  So I've decided to apply for a loan for the necessary start up costs.  I have never written a business plan before.  I'm a little freaked out about at the moment. :)  I am reading the SBA's how to section to get an idea of how to do it, but would appreciate some BTDT advice if you have any?

Anyone have any tips that I should know?  Any resources that may help me solidify ideas, wording, ect? 

Google is your friend.  See if you can find similar business plans online, and go from there.  You might also see if you have a small business development office nearby that can provide some help.

I've never had to apply for a loan, but my first one was two pages long.  It doesn't have to be hugely complicated for a one-person, home-based business.

Check out http://www.bplans.com/.

The site has tons of resources, including over 500 sample business plans for a variety of businesses.  I used one of the sample plans to help a friend write her business plan, and thought it was very well done.  The site does offer software and other fee-based services, but their free resources are pretty substantial (I didn't see a need to sign up for any of their fee-based services).