Menu

Singapore 6A - Life of Fred supplement or other?

My 11yo (6th grade officially) has been using Singapore since K, currently standards edition 6A.  Any problems we encountered along the way were either lack of attention/diligence (he has ADHD) or just disinterest rather than true lack of understanding so we have gone along just fine.  This year though we are really roadblocking, again I suspect more due to lack of disinterest and attention than true lack of understanding, but really I want to spark an interest.  After looking at a friend's Life of Fred book, I want to introduce that.  I think I have settled on LOF pre-algebra with biology.  My child dislikes math and LA but loves anything science, to the point I don't really even need to teach it as he will read anything and everything available in any science in his free time.  With that in mind, those of you with similar children, what is your opinion on my likelihood of using LOF to light up an interest in doing better in math? 

Alternatively, if there another program completely that might be better? 

I have no complaints on Singapore at all really.  I don't think it is the most fun and exciting program around, but it's solid and learning has been good with all my kids in it (my 6th grader is my oldest).  Having a math minor myself, I'm comfortable with the concepts and how they are taught in there, but LOF does appeal too with it's expansion into showing math integrated into the rest of the sciences and life.  As I mentioned above, my son is 2E - gifted in IQ but ADHD, bipolar, dysgraphia.

I think it's definitely worth a try.  My 6th grader is using LOF Biology as a supplement right now, and she really likes it.  There is also LOF Physics which your son might like - we didn't, we thought it was much dryer and not a good intro to physics, but it does what you are looking for, integrates math and science.