Menu

Writing Recs for 8th grader

I am looking for writing recommendations for an 8th grader who hasn't used a formal writing curriculum before. We've started a few through the years but haven't followed them through to completion. I think she's a pretty good writer, with good spelling and grammar. She even completed a 30k+ word novel for NaNoWriMo last year. I'm just looking to get her ready for more formal non-fictional writing required for high school.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Thank you for the suggestions so far.  The more I think about it, I would really just love a resource that would tell me which skills she needs to be able to demonstrate in writing at this point that I could then apply to writing across the curriculum.  Does anyone know of anything like this?

Thank you for the suggestions so far. The more I think about it, I would really just love a resource that would tell me which skills she needs to be able to demonstrate in writing at this point that I could then apply to writing across the curriculum. Does anyone know of anything like this?

The Writing Skills series by Diana Hanbury King offers a simple, inexpensive, no-frills program in academic/expository writing at all levels, through 12th grade. I saw it recommended here on the board and used parts of the lower levels with my DS between WWE & WWS, and am keeping it handy as a future resource.

For your goals, you might be able to use just the TM to guide you in what to cover.

Here's a link to the publisher's website for details and samples: http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=2561M

I've seen these books listed on Amazon, etc. HTH.