Menu

Bible Commentary Recommendation?

Staceyshoe

I typically use Biblegateway.com for Bible study, and it includes the Matthew Henry commentary.  I'm starting to explore other online Bible study tools such as E-sword, Blue Letter Bible, and Bible Hub (any others you recommend??).  Additionally, there are times when Matthew Henry doesn't answer my questions about a passage.  I'm looking for another Bible commentary and am a bit overwhelmed by long lists of commentaries when I don't know anything about the various options.  What I am *really* seeking is a commentary that doesn't seek to interpret scripture through a particular cultural or doctrinal lens.  Of course, every author has their own perspective, but I'm trying to minimize it as much as possible.  Given that background, which commentaries would best fit my needs?  TIA!

I'm really sorry to tell you, but good scholarship is expensive -- and it always has a perspective. In addition to having a perspective, they also all have a specific focus -- plus a specific a target audience, based on the level if knowledge they can presume you are already aware of.

I can make some recommendations on keeping costs low, but I'd need to know what you are looking for. When you pick up a commentary, you are looking for "more information" -- what kind of information do you say "cool!" -- when you read it. Nobody is looking for trivia, but rather something interesting. So, what's interesting to you?

Do you hold doctrinal positions (Calvinist, YECreationist, Catholic, universal salvation, messianic Judaism... Lots of others.)

What is your level of pre-existing Bible knowledge?

(Examples: Do you know your NT from your OT? Do you know what's likely to be in a prophetic book, and which ones they are? Do you know what books of the NT are letters, which ones, and why it would matter if you are reading a letter or something else? If I said there are 4 Greek words for love, would you know what I am talking about? Do you know any Greek or Hebrew words other than agape? Do you know that Rev borrows imagerey from Daniel and Ezekeiel? Would that puzzle or excite you? Do you know words like "synoptic" and "typology" and "chiasm"? Do you know much about the ancient world as a context? Do you know any grammar information about Hebrew or Greek? Do you know all this and plenty more?)

bolt, thank you for your response!  You're right---there really isn't any way around someone else's perspective.  I have a fair amount of Biblical knowledge but wouldn't consider myself a Biblical scholar by any means.  I am familiar with the answers to the questions you posed.  I think what I'm really looking for is that deeper level of understanding.  As I'm reading through the Bible or doing a study, and a question occurs to me -- or perhaps a verse that seems like it has a deeper meaning.  I don't just want to read shallowly.  I do a lot of word studies and such, but he historical and cultural context is very helpful too.  I like to cross-reference and proof-text.

My perspective is probably best described as Messianic, Protestant (in a very general sense), leaning toward Old Earth.  BUT I welcome other ideas--as long as they aren't presented in a manner that is one-sided and agenda-driven.  I don't just want to hear from people who interpret the Bible the way I do.  My understanding has changed over the years.  Other perspectives make me think.  Mostly, I am just seeking to truly read the Bible without any cultural or doctrinal lens--which, granted, is impossible--but I've seen some things in a new light since I've been trying to do this.  So I prefer a commentary that would allow me continue along this vein but dig a little deeper.

If you don't already have one, could it be that a Bible encyclopedia/dictionary would be helpful to you? That would provide additional information without a specific doctrinal slant.

As far as commentary, I like Ryrie. But of course he has a position. I like his study bible but I also like his systematic theology. He definitely tells you his point of view, but he does list and describe the alternatives so you can weigh out each. I don't remember his stance on YE/OE.

I realize that the dictionary and the systematic theology volume are not actually commentaries, I just mention them as tools I find helpful.

I do like J Vernon McGee. Don't always agree but his perspective is always helpful. He has a multivolume set of commentaries. Like everyone else, he has his own hermeneutical position so you have to factor that into his comments.

Staceyshoe, I admire your goal. Starting the same process here, with the book of Matthew.

OK, so it sounds like you are interested in theological ideas, particularly those that come from how things are worded in the text, and the original meanings of those words (that might not be coming through translation). Secondarily you are interested in cultural context, in an effort to help yourself step away from your own culture's implications as they apply to the text.

I'm thinking you don't want a whole commentary set, but something in one volume or two:

Two volumes:

"The Expositor's Bible Commentary" Abridged into 2 volumes (generally it's 12 volumes) (Editors: Barker and others)

One volume:

"Zondervan Bible Commentary" (Editor: Bruce)

or

"New Bible Commentary" (Editors: Wenham and others)

or

"The New Interpreter's Bible One Volume Commentary" (Editors: Gaventa and others)

To expand your collection to include cultural context:

"IVP Bible Background Commentary" (comes in NT and OT separately)

To expand towards word studies in original languages:

Use "biblestudytools.com" and find "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance" follow the instructions using the NASB to learn the basics about what original language words are used in any verse, a general idea of the meaning, and some links to generate lists of where else the original language word occurs (regardless of how it is translated, and ignoring any other OL words that are translated into the same English word).

You can also use the interlinear resources at scripture4all.org -- but be aware that their text reflects older scholarship, and in some (minor) cases will have a variant reading that is no longer considered the best representation of the text as-it-was-at-first.

(Note: Mr Strong has my eternal gratitude for his NUMBERS, which make novices able to easily figure out original language tools -- but his lexicon and commentaries are well beyond outdated. My reccomedation to use his concordance and number system does not mean I reccomend him as a reliable scholar in other areas. Also note: Mr. Kittel is of the same generation and shows similar outdatedness. Please consider any public domain, free, Biblical language resources to be what they are -- you aren't going to get more than a *general* idea of Biblical word usage out of them. Unfortunately, everything else costs a fortune.)

I haven't used the Zodhiates' dictionary, primarily because it is an English based resource, and I generally work in Greek/Hebrew for exegesis. I do have a study Bible where he is one editor -- and I'm in the same boat with that as I am with Strong. The key-word referencing is invaluable, and the lexicon gives a basic idea (I think it is Strong's -- or Strong's updated by Z) but there is clear bias in many places, and the fruit of most recent scholarship is missing. I'd say cross-check it with something reliable, but really, most of you can't do that without spending hundreds of dollars, unless you live near somewhere with a theological library.

So, yeah, something is better than nothing... but never walk away from a resource that is known to be biased thinking you have been fully informed. Think of it more like you asked *one* person, and they answered you, and they mostly know their stuff, so now you can think about their answer. Humility is always an asset for the scholar in any case. It's good to have more than one *good* resource to cross-check between, so I feel badly that most people are stuck choosing one resource, and most that are within normal price ranges are not quite good enough for me to be happy about as someone's sole resource.

OK, so it sounds like you are interested in theological ideas, particularly those that come from how things are worded in the text, and the original meanings of those words (that might not be coming through translation). Secondarily you are interested in cultural context, in an effort to help yourself step away from your own culture's implications as they apply to the text.

Yes!  You explained it so succinctly!  That's exactly what I'm looking for!  I'm looking forward to checking out your recommendations!

Drifter, I do have a couple of Bible dictionaries that I reference and find them very helpful.  I'm glad you mentioned Ryrie.  I was given a Ryrie Study Bible when I was a child, and I've recently re-discovered it and now use as my everyday Bible.  So often, I find myself wishing there was "more."  I didn't even think to check whether Ryrie had written a commentary.  I will look for it.

I'm wondering, are you reading the complete Matthew Henry, or concise?  I do both depending on how much time I have, but I do find the complete version gives me more to think about, however, it can be time consuming to read.    

I'm wondering, are you reading the complete Matthew Henry, or concise?  I do both depending on how much time I have, but I do find the complete version gives me more to think about, however, it can be time consuming to read.    

You know, I'm not sure which I've been reading since it's just something I click on online.  I would guess it probably is the concise version though.