Menu

The ASVAB career exploration program

Susan in TN

I have been able to sign up ds for this aptitude testing next month. I'm wondering if your students have taken it, and if it was helpful to them in making decisions about colleges and majors.

I think ds is just looking to discover if there is anything else that he would be interested in doing with his life. His primary interests are in instrumental and vocal music/composing/arranging and theory (and he's really good at these) but he is just very unsure about taking this path in college - and with a music degree, it is pretty much all or nothing. There is just not much wiggle room for changing majors without starting all over. So it makes him extra cautious.

We should have done this testing long ago but just haven't had the opportunity before now.

I've heard good things about, but no personal experience with this one. Do be aware that this is given by the military, so, while accurate, it is definitely a tool used by the military for recruiting. ;) One great thing about test results is that they will help you navigate these free career exploration sites:

O-Net (info on occupations; geared towards clusters (general occupation fields) ---> pathways (types of occupations within a field) ----> crosswalks (specific jobs within a pathway)

Career One Stop (giant U.S. career exploration resource with many tools)

U.S. Bureau of Labor: Occupational Outlook Handbook (detailed info on occupations; ability to do searches with specific parameters, search occupational fields. etc.)

ASVAB -- Career Clusters (career clusters is a high school counseling tool based on 16 clusters and 70 pathways)

Glencoe Career Clusters (info on the 16 clusters)
Career Cluster Inventory (free printable test for matching up your interests with the clusters)

For an online career interest survey based on the six Holland Codes, I like California Career Zone, which then allows you to research occupations based on your top 3 codes. Once you take that test, you can also use the New York Career Zone website to research occupations, too. All of those are free resources.

Have fun exploring! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I've heard good things about, but no personal experience with this one. Do be aware that this is given by the military, so, while accurate, it is definitely a tool used by the military for recruiting. ;) One great thing about test results is that they will help you navigate these free career exploration sites:

For an online career interest survey based on the six Holland Codes, I like California Career Zone, which then allows you to research occupations based on your top 3 codes. Once you take that test, you can also use the New York Career Zone website to research occupations, too. All of those are free resources.

Have fun exploring! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you!  I have looked online for sites like these and for some reason, have never come across them.  Very helpful!