Menu

any reviews of BJU's "Explorations in Literature" and/or Abeka's "Of People" (grade 7 literature options)

morningcoffee

We found the BJU stories all sad and depressing. Missionary stories with people getting their heads cut off. Babies being left to die, murders breaking up families. No way my boys could handle that. In the trash it went.

I second Lightning Lit or Excellence in Literature or Memoria Press Lit guides.

EDITED: Logos Press has upper level guides coming soon. Give them a cal/emaill for more details.

We found the BJU stories all sad and depressing. Missionary stories with people getting their heads cut off. Babies being left to die, murders breaking up families. No way my boys could handle that. In the trash it went.

I second Lightning Lit or Excellence in Literature or Memoria Press Lit guides.

That sounds extremely depressing - thanks so much for the warning! 

• 2 years later...

Hi, bumping this and wondering if anyone can share about the newer, BJU 4th edition Literature book-Explorations in Literature?  Wondering if the stories within are heavy and depressing as mentioned above.  Maybe just a few of them are?

Please share ANY thoughts about BJU EIL.  Thanks!

We use A Beka's literature program and this year my son will be a seventh grader, so we'll be using that book. Personally, I really like A Beka's books. They are very upbeat and impart the wisdom of leading a virtuous life. They are also very patriotic... a lot of stories about famous people in American history. And A Beka takes a positive view of American history. My son has really enjoyed the A Beka reading program. He'd rather read those selections than do novels, although he has enjoyed some of the novels we got through A Beka. He loved the story of Noah Webster and also "On His Own" by Horatio Alger. We'll do both novels and the reading book this coming year, though.

• Like 2

I have been wondering the same thing, we have used BJU reading for 4th-6th and Explorations would be our next step. I have read a few bad reviews but I will say that in the 4th -6th grade BJU student reading worktext they did cover personification, alliteration, flashback, cliche, cause and effect, irony, character sketch, imagery, hyperbole, allusion, slapstick, incongruity, pun, etc.   I have not seen Explorations in literature's in person only what is available online, but the 4th Ed. has selections from R. Kipling, O. Henry, Helen Keller, James Thurbuer, and R. Frost. which are also some of the same selections on the Mosdos Press Literature.  I was wondering if anyone knows if the Exploration in reading continues with literature analysis?  

Edited by mrshomework

Explorations in Literature does cover literary terms/analysis.  If you look through the Contents sample pages it lists specifically right after each reading selection what is covered in that unit.  BJU Reading/Literature is the only program I've found so far that covers literary terms so thoroughly and so early on.

• Like 1