Menu

What are you using for 9th Grade English

Say you had done NO English Grammar/Writing (formal) What would you suggest to use for 9th grade...something that will teach both grammar and writing elements from the most basic through writing research papers....

is there such a single program

My alternate idea is Analytical Grammar and IEW products...but I was hoping to find an integrated program with even some literature study mixed in there...

Donna

Not sure about an all-in-one program or for not having had formal grammar up 'til now. I would suggest Rod & Staff 5, 6, 7, and 8 one each year in high school - perhaps you could start at a later book - I'd check with the R&S people; they're good for advice on placement.

For writing, we really enjoyed IEW which we started this past year. I watched the Teaching Writing, Structure & Style (TWSS) last summer and then we did the assignments in the Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons.

HTH,

Kimm

A number of programs combine grammar and writing. Literature is usually separate. If you've not done formal grammar or writing prior to this, then you might want to consider getting material more at a 7th or 8th grade level, unless you have a bright, intuitive student who picks formal subjects up quickly.

- Bob Jones University Press English (BJUP)

Christian viewpoint; complete grammar and writing program. By grade level. Do a search at http://www.christianbook.com for the grade level you are interested in. For example, here is grade 9: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=236836&event=CF

- Voyages in English (VIE)

From Loyola University Press (although Loyola is Episcopalian, the text is non-religious); complete grammar and writing program. By grade level, up through 8th grade; you could easily use the 8th grade text with a 9th grade student. See it at: http://www.voyagesinenglish.com/

- Christian Light Education (CLE)

Christian viewpoint; the English portion and the literature (or "reading") portions are sold separately, but are all put out by the one publisher; the English portion contains the grammar and writing; the literature or "reading" portion contains the literature; by grade level up through 12th grade; again, you would probably want to consider going with a grade down from the student's grade level. See it at: http://www.clp.org/

Individual Grammar options:

- Rod & Staff 8 (everything a high school student needs to know for grammar)

- Analytical Grammar * (everything high school student needs to know for grammar)

Individual Writing options (especially for just starting out):

- Write Shop I and II *

- IEW

Literature options:

- Lightning Literature 7 (grade 7) *

- Lightning Literature 8 (grade 8) *

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

- Christian Light Education Literature or Reading

* = especially good as gentle introduction for just starting out

BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

With no formal grammar, you can't go wrong with all that will be learned with these R&S books. I don't have any advice about the writing and I would definitely do something in addition to R&S for the writing part, but you will be very pleased with how much is learned in grammar if you complete those books.

I agree with the recommendations you have received for Rod and Staff although I would probably start with the seventh grade book for 9th, move on to the 8th grade book for 10th, and then concentrate on utilizing grammar in 11-12th grade by writing, writing, writing...and then more writing.

We started with IEW years ago for the basics and it has been very helpful. When I taught writing at a high school co-op with students who had very little writing experience, IEW was a great hit with them, particularly the boys.

If you want to integrate grammar with vocabulary and poetics, you might want to take a look at the Michael Clay Thompson series on the Royal Fireworks Press site. While it doesn't cover writing, per se, the grammar and vocabulary books use sentences from good literature and analyze usage and style as well as the grammatical structure. The poetics books are wonderful for analyzing poetry and will provide a foundation upon which to study literature, as well. You'll want to supplement with more literature, however.

For writing, I use a home-brewed mix of IEW and Brave Writer. A strange combination, I know, because one is very structured and formal while the other takes a very relaxed approach. The combination works well for us, though, giving the kids the foundation skills they need while also helping them put it into the context of their own voice.