Menu

Capitalization, so easy yet so hard!

Emagine

My overly bright, but sensitive and dramatic son can not get this down. He is quick in his work. He needs to slow down and breath. He is quick to learn most things and in most things he soars. For some reason this very topic is killing him. He has to be perfect yet he will not read a sentence through to get it. I tried, his brother tried. Not only is it a race, he just will not grasp all the concepts of everything that needs a big letter (as he calls it). Is there an App? A game online, a wb something that is just this. He has nouns and such down.

Example, today he had a prewritten letter that needed to be fixed. Threw him for a loop. I printed out a few sentences in case it was was too much. Same thing. Zoomed straight down and did the first letter of each sentence and looked for names he knew. Almost like he did not take a breath. In trying to calmly talk to him and work with him you would think the world was ending with the dramatic display of fits.

Thoughts??????

You might have him take one sentence at a time (his own or one selected by you) and apply the rules to it using a checklist. Finding errors is sometimes very difficult and overwhelming. The response is either to melt down, have a bad attitude about the whole thing or just rush to get done. It helps to have a system of how to check a sentence and apply it until it becomes habit.

You might also choose to focus on one type of capitalization error at a time for a while.

Be patient. It takes time to learn the rule, then to apply it to one's own writing, then to find the errors in another's writing.