Menu

Anyone used or using BFSU for 6th grade science?

This is my first year homeschooling, and after much research, I decided to use this. I received it last week and dug in over the weekend. Can you say overwhelmed? I am not a science person, but my daughter is. Is it really as tough as it appears to be? I want to challenge her, but it appears that I am really going to have to work for it. Any other challenging secular science programs out there that gives a little more room for a dumb mom?

What volume are you starting with for your 6th grader?  This is our first year homeschooling as well, and I am using it this year for my 6th and 8th grader (boy and girl).  We are also going to use Joy Hakim's Story of Science books and some of the Rainbow Science two-year middle school program.  I first purchased the book for middle school grades, but after looking through it and asking questions of people on the yahoo group I decided to go back and start from the beginning, knowing that much of what is in the first two books will be review for them.  

My plan is to try to use Rainbow and BFSU together where they complement one another.  For example, when we are studying physics and motion we would use both the Rainbow science and BFSU chapters that correspond to those subjects.  Leading off with BFSU from the first book, then the second, then the third, followed by the Rainbow science chapters and experiment.  So far, from what I have read in BFSU, it will give a great foundation for moving forward into the Rainbow book and doing experiments and labs.  In my own experience, and I think my kids are the same way, I learned much more from doing experiments and hands-on activities than I did from reading or studying science from a book.

Take everything I just said with a grain of salt, today is our first day so we haven't actually implemented any of this.  I have 6 weeks of scheduling done for all of our subjects, but will it really work that way, I don't know.  The one thing we have going for us is that both DH and I have chemistry degrees, so I am sure we can pull it off even if we have to change our schedule or lesson plan.  We are going to try it for a few weeks and then see how the kids think it's going.  My son loves science, my daughter not so much, but in her defense she has had really boring teachers the last couple of years which doesn't help.

It is overwhelming. And it is meant to be used over several years, not a single one. Starting in 6th grade might necessitate dropping back to the 3-5 book, if only because the third book assumes much information has already been covered in the first two books. The book is fairly rigorous, and I wouldn't think twice about using the second book with a 6th grader. I am using the first book with my third grader and we are having a great time.

I have used BFSU, but not exclusively. I follow the science cycle in TWTM, but I use my own choices in materials. So, for example, in 5th grade we studied life science. I used the 'Thread B' in BFSU 3-5 (book 2) to start the year and introduce the subject. in 6th grade we studied earth and space science and I used 'Thread D' (and a bit of Thread A) BFSU 3-5 (book 2) and a little bit from book 6-8 (book 3) to start the year. I found that to be much less overwhelming.

I got volume 3 for her.  Yes, I knew it was multiple years.  I was thinking that I would have to drop back to volume 2 or even 1.  Glad to know that that is ok.  How closely do you follow the flow chart?  Do you jump back and forth between threads as the author indicates or do you follow Life Science one year then Physical Science another etc...  I understand his theory of all science being interconnected, but it just makes it difficult to follow a theme and to coordinate dd11's science with dd7 & 8 which I was really hoping to do.  Even though they are at different levels, it's just easier on me to have one science topic going at a time, kwim?  I got volume 1 for them.

Brookspr... the idea of starting at the beginning occurred to me.  You don't think she'll be losing time?  I don't want to put her behind or make it too easy, kwim?  I was looking at the Story of Science by Hakim, as well.   Have you checked out CK12?  I have been using that over the summer for our plants study.  I am, also, including living books in all our subjects per Charlotte Mason.

Thanks for the input ladies, and I am glad to know that it is a rigorous program.  That's what I wanted for her (and the youngers).  I'm going to give myself another week to go through the books and pick up vol 2 so I can get a better picture.  Then just start them all at the beginning just at different intensity levels. 

Even though I don't have a dc in sixth yet, I have been using BFSU since ds10 was in K. Right now we're finishing up 3-5. He just started fifth. You sound very similar in how I handle the program, with CM living books and all.

You may want to take a look at this thread where I explain how we use BFSU. I'm planning something similar for us in sixth.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/487385-lewelma-critique-my-science-plans-please/?do=findComment&comment=5184139

Hope this helps!

We've been loving BFSU as well.  I started book 1 w/ my dd when she was in 4th grade, and we did all the lessons (that she didn't already know) in those two years.  She did also do a science/engineering class as well.  We moved into book 2 last year when we got a microscope for xmas.  She's really enjoying that one as well, but the lessons take a lot longer!  We started doing it the way the author suggested,but now we're doing science in a more interest-led way.  Basically, we match up any lessons (and background info) w/ her engineering classes (which run in 4 week sessions, she did 4 last year, and only 2 this year).  She'll do chemistry w/ the same group of kids after htey're done w/ the engineering stuff, so we won't use BFSU for that.  Then, each quarter, she chooses a topic of interest and studies it.  Last year's spring project was learning about the oceans, and there were a few relevant lessons.  This quarter, she wants to learn about microscopic life, so we're making sure she has the background lessons done and will then jump into those lessons.  Approaching it thematically in that way is helping me to get science done,a nd using the BFSU materials helps me to know that we're being thorough and explaining/discovering key scientific concepts.

FWIW, I think the author would be in full support of this approach.  I think the difference is more in how I think about it, rather than in how it actually ends up looking, if that makes sense.

Did you know you can get the books as ebooks for only $5? That might help take some of the pressure off of finding the right one, and instead you can get any of them and just use what suits best.

We are using BFSU this year. My 6th grader is in book 2, he has done most of book 1. (What he hasn't done "officially" he has done in life - like growing plants and learning about the body systems. I have book 1 if I need to refer to it.)

What works for me is to just do it. And it has taken me a long time to get into BFSU. I've had many years where it warmed the shelf. I like to pick a starting strand. My 6th grader is doing strand C, because I don't have a microscope yet for the other strands, AND we are reading "Secrets of the Universe" this year. We won't stick to C all year, but we are spending most of term 1 there.

I put it on the kid's schedule - I have the first 12 weeks scheduled. That's what helps it get done, because they will remind me! I read the objectives for the whole lesson, then get the materials I need. Sometimes I send the kids to find materials. Then I read the things to do for the part we are doing that day, maybe a couple times, until I have an idea of the flow. I pay attention to the vocabulary. I have no shame in keeping the book open if needed, or in spreading a part out over a few sessions if I get stuck.

Will I still be hit & miss on BFSU? I hope not, but with three kids I'm sure there'll be some catching-up on our off weeks. And that's okay with me.

Oh, and I am NOT a science-y person. I was very intimidated by BFSU, and I kept looking at the WHOLE book. When I narrow my focus to just the upcoming lesson (let's learn about the center of gravity & balance!), then relax because (1) I want to spark wonder and lay a base, not teach everything to perfection and (2) I have backups, in case I get it wrong or miss something (various living science books, Happy Scientist, review in the high-school years, etc.).

What works for me is to just do it. And it has taken me a long time to get into BFSU. I've had many years where it warmed the shelf.

:thumbup:  to the bolded!

I put it on the kid's schedule - I have the first 12 weeks scheduled. That's what helps it get done, because they will remind me! I read the objectives for the whole lesson, then get the materials I need. Sometimes I send the kids to find materials. Then I read the things to do for the part we are doing that day, maybe a couple times, until I have an idea of the flow. I pay attention to the vocabulary. I have no shame in keeping the book open if needed, or in spreading a part out over a few sessions if I get stuck.

We were supposed to be keep the book closed?? I had no idea, I always kept the book open so I can refer to it and discuss with the kids. Always  :D 

Will I still be hit & miss on BFSU? I hope not, but with three kids I'm sure there'll be some catching-up on our off weeks. And that's okay with me.

I hear ya. I had to learn to be okay with that and this year I planned to be flexible and leave enough room to get everything done. I have three kids too, and one of them is a toddler running around.

Oh, and I am NOT a science-y person. I was very intimidated by BFSU, and I kept looking at the WHOLE book. When I narrow my focus to just the upcoming lesson (let's learn about the center of gravity & balance!), then relax because (1) I want to spark wonder and lay a base, not teach everything to perfection and (2) I have backups, in case I get it wrong or miss something (various living science books, Happy Scientist, review in the high-school years, etc.).

That's it, BFSU is about doing one at a time. Just do it. It will all come together nicely.