Menu

Barton use with non-dyslexic

I am using Barton with my son (11yo, who definitely shows signs of dyslexia) and his sister (6yo) who are both in vision therapy. I have a son who is 9. He doesn't show the same issues but does tends to have problems with longer words.

Since I am already using it, should I just go back and run him through it so that everyone has had the same training?

Hmm...Barton may be overkill for a non-dyslexic.  At the same time, I am using Barton with my two dyslexic kids, I am not dyslexic and I have learned TONS that I wish I had known in school.  For one thing, I would never have had to waste time rote memorizing a bunch of spelling lists.  I would have known the rules for spelling.  Just a quick review would probably have been more than sufficient for me to get great grades in spelling.

You might try him with it, starting from the beginning so he gets the rhythm, etc.  If he isn't really resistant, I bet he could go through the whole thing pretty quickly and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have that knowledge.  In fact, if he made it through Level 9 and 10 he would almost certainly be ahead of most of his peers when he hit High School.

Yes, you can use it with non-dyslexics. It's a great way to teach reading and spelling.

However, you'll want to adjust the pace so it's not to slow for the child. You may even want to skip some of the procedures, or greatly reduce them. Go at a pace that is not too slow, yet not overly challenging for the child. That is true for dyslexics and non-dyslexics.

I have used it with some of my non-dyslexic children.  The lessons may go much, much, MUCH faster with someone who is not dyslexic. Still, with my non-dyslexics, we still stumbled across random areas where they struggled a bit.  I think it's worthwhile, but when feeling burdened, stressed for time or close to burn-out, I cut the Barton lessons with my non-dyslexics.