Menu

Quote from which children's book? -- "The fish is off."

Kareni

My husband and I were chatting about random stuff last night and he was recalling a quote from a children's book.  "The fish is off."  He thinks it may have come from Paddington Bear.  Can anyone corroborate or offer a different book title?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Kareni

I do believe it's from Paddington Helps Out when Paddington tries to make dinner for Mr. and Mrs. Brown.  I remember he makes a menu and they pick fish, but he didn't really have it to cook so he responds with, "the fish is off."  Then the dumplings exploded and Mr. Gruber had to come help out. :)

I had to look it up. We have the Paddington Treasury and it's in the story "Something Nasty in the Kitchen." Like *Michelle* says, P makes dinner and presents them with a menu. There are a number of items listed, but Stew with Dumplings is underlined. Mr Brown says he fancies some soup and fish, to which P replies, "I'm afraid they're off." Mrs Brown adds, "I think we're meant to have the stew and dumplings, Henry. They're underlined." And of course, Mr Brown then decides he'll have the stew.