Menu

What to do next for grammar

She

My dd is going into 6th grade. She has struggled with reading all along. We finally picked up OPGTTR and she has improved by leaps and bounds. At the same time we started FFL, even though she has gone through R&S 5. I felt like she was struggling because of the reading and wanted to give her something easier to reinforce what she has learned. She has learned a lot about answering questions in complete sentences, and being able to narrate in as few sentences as possible.

We started these in April and have been zipping through them. When we really start school she is going to finish FLL quickly. I planned on getting FLL3, however I'm sure she will zip through that also. According to the K12 placement test she is almost up to grade level in reading. So, I'm not sure what to do. I've thought about Primary Language Lessons, jumping back into R&S 6 (although we are all desperately tired of diagramming). I've though of Queen Homeschool's Language Lessons for ?. Or maybe even using Easy Grammar Plus.

Any ideas. The sad thing is I really would try them all, but have neither the time or $, not to mention stressing a child out!

My dd is going into 6th grade. She has struggled with reading all along. We finally picked up OPGTTR and she has improved by leaps and bounds. At the same time we started FFL, even though she has gone through R&S 5. I felt like she was struggling because of the reading and wanted to give her something easier to reinforce what she has learned. She has learned a lot about answering questions in complete sentences, and being able to narrate in as few sentences as possible.

We started these in April and have been zipping through them. When we really start school she is going to finish FLL quickly. I planned on getting FLL3, however I'm sure she will zip through that also. According to the K12 placement test she is almost up to grade level in reading. So, I'm not sure what to do. I've thought about Primary Language Lessons, jumping back into R&S 6 (although we are all desperately tired of diagramming). I've though of Queen Homeschool's Language Lessons for ?. Or maybe even using Easy Grammar Plus.

Any ideas. The sad thing is I really would try them all, but have neither the time or $, not to mention stressing a child out!

I think there's a pretty big content leap between FLL 1/2 and R&S 6. I think you're right to be more concerned with her reading and keep grammar on the lighter side. My understanding is that FLL 4 will be released in the autumn. Have a look at the table of contents for both FLL3 and FLL4 (I think amazon my have a look inside option). If she completes FLL 1/2, you may find that there's too much review in FLL3 and moving on to FLL 4 may be a better fit.

I think another good choice might be to re-do R&S 5. Since you already own it, that would save money.:) The text will be familiar, but she may have an easier time with it the second time around.

For reading, have you looked at the REWARDS program?

HTH, Stacy

I've got Sentence Composing up on Amazon right now, so I'll look through that.

Why would you not use Easy Grammar Plus?

I actually don't have RS 5, I sold it to buy other things, though I held on to 6. I didn't realize FLL4 was coming out. I will probably write that down, as Iowa has to fill out lesson plans by Sept. 15.

I'll check into REWARDS.

Read, read, read! Oh, that definately it is our #1 priority for her this year. We actually have spent lots of time on reading to the point she was memorizing everything because she had gone over it so many times. She really needed the phonics instruction, and to learn to look at one word at a time, and to SLOW down. My other dc learned to read just by reading and knowing the basic sounds. She should have used more than just a phonics workbook from the very start.

I appreciate the suggestions and any others.