Menu

Feel like I'm about to go off a cliff...any tips for me to juggle?

Oh lordy.

Ds is dual enrolled, taking music theory 2 and Russian 2. Last year they were back to back, but this year- nope. So our schedule (which is inflexible, no way around it) is as follows:

M-f music 730-830

Tue/thur and mon/weds/fri alternating: Russian 1015-1220 (lunch in the middle...Grrrr)

M- band 1-3

T- chemistry 1-3

And his little brother has extracurriculars every day, leave at 4ish, back at 8-9.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I plan to take oldest with me on at least mon and Tuesday nights to work at the library while his brother dances. Probably will need to every day there is Russian. I am not sure when we will eat-! I planned to make a big dinner like meal for lunch and then dinner would be whatever, like lunch is normally. But now he's gone 3 days a week for lunch, and dh of course, and youngest doesn't actually eat barely anything anyway. maybe make a big breakfast? Ug. None of us eat much breakfast.Weekends are packed with driving youngest Ds hither and yon, but oldest can do some work on weekends.

We actually started back to school a few weeks ago, and this is the last week of just being home- it all starts next week. So I'm taking a nap right after lunch...probably my last nap, oh, ever.

Let me make sure I understand correctly:

Your oldest has the schedule as listed above, and your youngest is home, but has the extracurriculars starting at 4?

In that case, here is what I would do:

Cook one meal whenever it works for you - I assume you'd be home with younger for lunch? then I'd cook lunch.

Oldest needs to pack lunch, and he can eat his portion of the cooked meal in the evening at home.

I would leave him home to work instead of taking him to the library; if he is gone from 7:30 to 3pm, he'll need that.

Youngest can eat the cooked meal for lunch and pack something light for dinner

I sympathize, our schedule is difficult too. We simply do not cook during the week. Sandwiches and fruit make an excellent dinner ;-) I leave the house for an 8am class every day, home by 1 pm three days, home by 4 one day. DS comes with me MWF for his 8am, class. DD has class from 2pm to 3pm MWF and from 9:30 to 3:15 with a lunch break on Tuesday and Thursday. She mostly comes to campus at 8 with me and works there. Each of us is gone for two nights a week, but not the same nights. I swear some weeks we need a flow chart,

Hang in there, you'll survive

Taking him with to the extracurriculars is the only way he will get focused attention on the days he has Russian and another class (mon and rues for sure). He can work independently, but we both really enjoy discussing history and literature together and I feel it's important for his education. There won't be any other time those days otherwise!

I already planned to have dhs share of lunch saved in the fridge for his dinner, I guess I can do that for Ds too. But my younger one normally makes rice or something or just eats salad because he is incredibly picky, so cooking a big meal seems like such a waste, even if the other two do eat it eventually. We normally eat out on weekends, perhaps I could instead cook on weekends (barf, I hate cooking!) and eat out 2 weekdays to save time and not ruin the budget too badly. It's hard to find nutritionally dense foods that are both vegan and fast!

We will hopefully have a carpool option as we have met one other family who is at younger Ds activity the same schedule, but not as many days. So that is a ray of hope.

My nap totally rocked by the way- 2 hours! It was grey and rainy and we didn't do half the stuff on the schedule or any laundry today, but as it's my last week I can blow anything off with any hope of ever making it up- no regrets!