Menu

vocabulary learning in understood language

EmilyGF

I speak German to my kids part time (it isn't my first language). They have fairly good understanding but speak poorly.

I don't even know where to start. I want to teach them vocabulary and have them practice with article. Do I have them translate from English (the way I was taught) or what? 

For example, I want them to learn: Abend, der Abend, die Abende. Do I have them learn that Abend means evening (which they probably sorta know already) or what?

Any ideas? I'm looking at Das Neue Deutschmobil and it seems like a bad fit in some ways, but we really would benefit from more structure.

Thanks,

Emily

I'm going through the same thing. My kids understand every word I say in German, but couldn't speak it. What I came up with was to have them read a short German story to me every day and narrate it back in German. They started out struggling with every word, but are getting much better now!

We haven't done any formal grammar yet, so I can't recommend anything for that. Maybe look into some German second grade workbooks? If your kids understand German well, then I definitely wouldn't bother with any language learning program.

This may not be appropriate for your kids, but since they skills seem to be passive I would do 3 things.

1) Get one of those My First 1000 Words in German Book to boost their vocabulary, you can work on each spread (these books are usually topical) for about 3-12 days depending on your kids, but do Total Physical Responce activities--nothing special, just daily and purposeful.

2) Get a German dictionary where every word is used in at least one practice sentence.

3) Get some of those Practice Makes Perfect German books.

I don't see your kids ages, so its hard to know what skills are typical for their age but they probably have a lot of passive vocabulary and grammar skills.

These are really great suggestions! Thanks again, Hive.

mom2bee, would you suggest "flash cards" with words on one side and used in a sentence on the other?

For example, "der Abend, die Abende" and then "Ich warte lieber bis zu Abend."

Emily

These are really great suggestions! Thanks again, Hive.

mom2bee, would you suggest "flash cards" with words on one side and used in a sentence on the other?

For example, "der Abend, die Abende" and then "Ich warte lieber bis zu Abend."

Emily

I certainly would! Provided that you can either find some, or make some. I'm not very familiar with German language materials because I study Spanish more myself.

If you make them yourself, go simple. Try and make at least 3 a day and more on the weekends or days when you aren't busy. Get up a small store of them before you begin using them so that you don't run out.

I have a 6yo cousin who is bilingual English and German, his dad is German but since he's raised in Germany, I haven't had occasion to buy him many things.