Menu

Need Pre-Algebra help!!! Please!

My 13yo 8th grader completed Singapore through 6A.  I did not buy 6B b/c I figured I would move him right into Pre-Algebra.  So, I purchased Lial's BCM as was recommended by a few WTMers.  Well...after looking through it...I think I made a mistake. :(  It looks like mostly review for him and would likely be a wasted year.  I need some other suggestions.  I have looked at Lial's Pre-Algebra but I'm just not sure that is what I want either.  Is there something that is in between BCM and Pre-Algebra? Maybe Saxon Algebra 1/2 or something else?  I'm going to have ds13 do the chapter tests and some Cum. Review exercises until I can figure out something different so we don't lose time but I need serious help!  He is NOT ready to move into Algebra 1and can certainly use some more review in Pre-Alg. topics.  Exp. negative numbers as Singapore didn't cover that.  Please...any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

So we were having trouble with Lial's, not the level of work but the way it was laid out. I couldn't get it, writing was to small/pages to busy for DS. I was just going to stick it out and find something else for Algebra. I asked for some possibilities that were SIMPLE to read/understand, not a lot of busy work or junk cluttering up the page. What was recommended was Power Basics from Walch. We only got it on Friday so I've had just a few days with it. Here's why I think it might work for you:

1. It says Algebra but really is just Pre Algebra or Algebra Lite.

2. The very first thing they cover is negative numbers. And they do it very well.

3. You do the work directly in the Textbook (LOVE this) and the package comes with an additional "deeper" understanding Workbook.

4. It seems easy to skip topics/sections you already know well.

5. It covers: Alg. Basics- neg #'s, Absolute Value, Variables ect... before moving onto

-Solving Equations and Inequalities

-Graphing Linear Equations

-Polynomial Operations

-Quadratic Equations

We did a full year of Pre-Alg (lite) last year and I wanted to be ready for Algebra by Christmas. I think we should be fine to finish PB by then. DS seems to like that it is independent. It costs $62 on Walch's site but I found it for $42 on Amazon. This includes the Textbook, Workbook, Teachers Guide, and Test book.

As I said, we have just started with Power Basics so I can't give it my complete approval yet. HTH.

MathMammoth has 7/8 grade prealgebra worksheets. If you don't need the explanations (these are just worksheets), this can serve as a good review.

http://www.mathmammoth.com/worksheets/grade_7.php

It actually covers more than we did in Lial's PreAlgebra an Integrated Approach (which we didn't find busy or distracting).

I'm also going to look at Jousting Armadillos for more review (we need it).

I think he needs a basic review of fractions, decimals, percents and such but nothing extensive.  BCM spends the majority of the book on review.  I was able to find the Abeka Basic Mathematics 2 (Pre-Algebra) worktext at our local homeschool bookstore. I have all the Teacher materials and my older son did well using Abeka.  It thoroughly covers all Pre-Algebra topics but doesn't spend entire units covering fractions, decimals and percents.  That is all covered in the 1st 2 units and the rest of the book goes into "meatier" topics.  I think this is exactly the "happ median" that I was looking for.  Thanks everyone. :)