Menu

PLS-4 eval and ASD

oceanseve

If your child has been diagnosed ASD, would you mind sharing their PLS-4 scores? I would greatly appreciate it. We went to the neuro-developmental psychologist today and the lady looked at the PLS score and immediately ruled out ASD, which didn't make sense to me since there are so many other markers for it. She said she's going to call is mixed developmental delay. Gee, how helpful.....

To get a dx of a specific condition there have to be specific criteria met and other criteria may eliminate that dx in favor of another.  I don't have a child who was dx at such an early age so I had never even heard of that particular test.  Taking the information you've received and coming up with a plan for therapy and treatment will be far more helpful than worrying about the particular title assigned to your child's list of symptoms. 

This website may be helpful to you:

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/pdd-nos

This woman was not interested in a dx at all. She zoomed through the IQ test and then sent us out the door. We already have her in OT and ST, this was just a formality so that the insurance won't give us grief when therapy becomes long term. I didn't get the impression she wanted to dx her with anything specific even though she was confused by the IQ test and had to go talk to the real dr (turns out our appt was with an assistant) because she had no idea what to make of it.

Developmental Delay is a common diagnosis in preschoolers. A lot of evaluators don't like to be more specific at such a young age because kids can change quickly. If you are really only worried about insurance coverage then that diagnosis should be fine.

Not thatvthis matters since you are HS, but Usually about 1st grade, school districts will will reevaluate and give a more specific diagnoisis.